How to Paint Wood (mdf) to a High Gloss Mirror Finish With a Spray Can

nissanrider06
10+ year member

VooDoo
Eagan, MN
Finished.jpg

Well I have been planning out my enclosure for my 15" DC XL and wanted something amazing that is really going to turn heads, I looked into suede, plexiglass, carpet, fiberglass... and decided on a combination of them, but Theonly part I didnt know how to accomplish was achieving that show car paint job, a high shine high-gloss mirror paint job that looks like a professional job. Now I will post pics later of my practice runs but I just though I would post pics for the 2 tutorials I found that work very well for paint anything that can be primed to a mirror finish. It took me a while to find these So I thought I would share them! Now these are all done with a spray can. Here is an over view of the process:

1. Sand surface smooth with no deep scratches (use filer if needed)

2. Prime 2-3 coats sanding with 320 grit between

3. Spray Color coat, use light coats many layers sand at the last coat with 400 grit and spray one more layer and sand with 600 grit or 1000 grit (look at tutorial most paints need to cure for at least 2-3 days)

4. Now spray clear coats several thin layers and sand after 5-10 coats with 600 1000 and 2000.

5. Then Buff with rubbing compound, then swirl compound (maybe one or another) and later after a couple week cure you can use car polish or a jewelers rouge...

important notes:

-Use quality paint and sandpaper it makes a huge difference

-Spray many thin layers 8-12" away

-follow directions on materials

Now you can have a great glossy finish with no expensive equipment. Hope this helps some people. I dont post much but I know I was looking for something like this so Im sure a few others are as well.

I am not in anyway taking credit for these tutorials just putting it in a place where its easier for the car audio industry to find! I read through probably 20 tutorials to find these 2 good ones.

Links to tutorials:

part 1-

linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 1)

part 2-

linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 2)

tutorial #2

How to paint MDF to a mirror finish worklog

I went and bought the paint and am going to go through all of this and make my own guide combining both of these, and a video, once I write that up maybe we can get it stickied... my goal is to get affordable paint and materials everyone has access to and come up with an easy process anyone can do and fast! and get good consistent results. i am gonna first try a real quick run-through of this and a complete version and get it as perfect as possible, to see how big of a difference it makes to spend a week on a paint job vs. a day

How To Paint Your Fiberglass Car Audio Projects Using Spray Paint

More on sanding to get specific:

So as far as grits in your sand paper goes, you will need about 6-7 different grits. I use 80 or 120 grits disc pads on my mechanical sander whenever I am rough shaping the bondo. Once I get my bondo knocked down to the shape I want, I start sanding by hand with a 200 grit pad. Then I take the rest of my grits 300,600,800, and 1000 in the sanding process. Some people wonder just how many times and what grit to use. I have an actual fail proof formula you can go by. Write it down, print it out, whatever, and put it up in our shop. Follow these steps and your finish will be perfect. The numbers just represent the grit to use.

The steps are

bondo, 80, bondo, 80, bondo, 120, sand 200, 300, primer, 200, 300, primer, 300, glazing putty, 300, 600, metallic coat, 600, 800, 1000, paint, 1000, paint, 1000, paint, clear, 1000, clear, 1000, clear.

This will be the same for pneumatic spray jobs. The paints are usually a lot better than spray paint, but again, if you are using a good quality spray paint, and you do these steps above, I guarantee you no one can tell the difference. I honestly cannot tell one way or the other if it is done like I show above.

Just remember to use light coats, do not cake it on. The paint will run and you will have to sand a lot of paint off to get the uniform surface back. Also, when you spray, as I show in the video, start spraying in open air, move the stream onto the box, all the way over, off the side into open air, then let go of the nozzle. Do not press the nozzle down and start spraying on the box. Start and stop in open air. This helps to keep the paint surface uniform on all points the spray hits.

definitly use a good air compressor use air tools! gets the job done quick and by the way for you first timers doin something like this keep your sander movin or you create divits then will look like crap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...