Fi q 12in ported or 15in sealed

ExplicitUrSelf
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Here's the deal... The car is a 2001 chevrolet s10 blazer 4 door and i currently have a 12in l7 kicker (4ohm dvc) with an enclosure of 3.75^3.ocft @ 35hz... powering with an Sundown audio saz1000.1d the sub is currently gettinh 600rms on a 2ohm load... i'm looking for something with quality and want it to get low and loud. i've came to a conlusion to go with an Fi q, the only problem is i don't know whether to go with a 12in fi q 2.5cft@ 32hz or a 15in fi q with an 2.6cft... not sure of options since havn't made up my mid on what size nor know what options to go with with either setup... i will be running the amp on a 1ohm load to feed 1k rms to this fi q. i'm leaning more to the 15in sealed since i can get more quality and loudness since it's bigger oppose to the 12in sealed...... but not sure... i listen to diff genras of music but mainly hip hop, trance 'n r & b I'm sort of limited on cargo space which is why i think of going 2.6sealed on the 15in... any ecpirenced user that can give some feedback would be great!!! thanks

They are both sq subs so both will sound good. The 12 will get louder at lower frequencies but the 15 sealed will have a slight edge in sq if ur a beginner box builder.

i had the same decision to make and i went with the 15 sealed(12 ported si mag or 15 sealed si mag). I asked this question years ago and was told by many the 15 will be louder. Sealed boxes play lower than ported so i'm not sure why some of the guys think the 12 ported will play lower. The 12's might be slightly louder in the higher frequencies but the 15 sealed should stomp it in the lower frequencies. I would take the 15.

i had the same decision to make and i went with the 15 sealed(12 ported si mag or 15 sealed si mag). I asked this question years ago and was told by many the 15 will be louder. Sealed boxes play lower than ported so i'm not sure why some of the guys think the 12 ported will play lower. The 12's might be slightly louder in the higher frequencies but the 15 sealed should stomp it in the lower frequencies. I would take the 15.
if u tune for music aka low, 30hz through 40-45hz the ported will be louder.

if u tune for music aka low, 30hz through 40-45hz the ported will be louder.
louder where? the higher frequencies? cause sealed boxes play lower. I run two 15 si mags in a ported box tuned to 30hz and i used to have the same 15's sealed and the sealed box played lower than my ported box. So i really doubt the 12 ported can talk to the 15 sealed in lower frequencies

Technically, yes, a sealed box can play lower, however, if you look at the point at which each type begins to roll off, the properly tuned ported box begins to roll off much lower than the sealed box. From the point that the sealed box begins to roll off until the lower end of the ported box's output, the ported box is going to be louder. You can tune a ported box with the right sub that can play as low as most any music goes. Usable output in the mid 20s is entirely doable and at a higher output level than the sealed box can provide at the same freq. It isn't until you get to the extremely low frequencies that the sealed box can hold its own.

Just to throw this in here, My 18" Q was ported in my suv, now sealed in my truck, and I miss the the old ported box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.