Time Alignment vs. Phase Shift

Sarthos
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MN
Alright, I was talking with a few people about using some kind of a processor for time alignment in my car, they seemed to think that somehow a phase shift could be used in place of time alignment. If I'm right though, aren't phase shifts way different than time alignment? A phase shift changes the point on the wave where a note starts, so you can set which frequency will be at maximum power when it reaches your ear, while time alignment delays the note entirely so all the speakers reach your ear at the same time? Drawing a 3d graph to try explaining this would be difficult, but does the idea sound right?

If this is true, is there any such thing as a processor, separate from a headunit which can alter both time alignment, AND phase shifts for speakers? I've seen that a lot of amps that have phase shifts, but it seems that 4 channel amps have only 1 or 2 phase shift knobs, while it'd be nice to have 1 for each channel. Does anyone know if such a device exists? The idea seems somewhat beastly in my mind.

I understand most of it from a basic physics perspective (Most of the questions you asked about time alignment in that thread I could quick like draw graphs to explain how time alignment helps, in case somehow any of them haven't been explained well since the thread was made lol) I'm kinda curious about external units for TA though, as well as phase shifts. If I'm right about how phase shifts work with car audio equipment, it would make it easier to tune your sound stage so that the front left gets X instruments better, front right gets Y instruments better, etc.

PPI used to make a phase shift controller.

Phase shift is good for fixing frequency response problems that are caused by speakers being out of relative phase because of the difference in distance between the various drivers and the listener. If you have time alignment it effectively eliminates the need for a phase shift controller.

PPI used to make a phase shift controller.
Phase shift is good for fixing frequency response problems that are caused by speakers being out of relative phase because of the difference in distance between the various drivers and the listener. If you have time alignment it effectively eliminates the need for a phase shift controller.
Earthquake made one also back in the day...I have one...

Yah..If I can find a graphing calculator I can explain the need for time alignment. Phase shifting I *think* works a bit differently, they can work together if you can work really well with math and physics

I want to thank you for that link, the info you guys posted in there will come in handy after I install this-

img0486vsp.jpg

Its nice, but it looks like the install will be very complicated.

T/A on each speaker (mid/twt), then each side, coupled with infinite crossover points on each.

Making it more complicated is I cant find the Alpine 4381 remote that would let me adjust from the front because it was a dealer piece Alpine sold only for installing these (and the prior 3681 that wasnt Ai Net).

Is all that stuff really necessary ?? Guess I need to read more into it.
I guess I'm saying not to spend a but load of money on electronics,

Could a k.i.s.s system be built with out a need for that stuff. (no equalization) source strait to amp, and still manage to stage and image. ???

Guess I'm trying to learn here guys ...

I guess I'm saying not to spend a but load of money on electronics, Could a k.i.s.s system be built with out a need for that stuff. (no equalization) source strait to amp, and still manage to stage and image. ???

Guess I'm trying to learn here guys ...

Many upper end head units have T/A and EQ built in now.

Its pretty common.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.