Getting all new electrical system + sound system for my car....is this ok? (ima noob)

Participant count
  • Participants list

bullet4mv92
10+ year member

Ok so I don't know a TON about all this stuff, but I feel like I get the basic idea. I've done some research, asked around on websites, and asked some installer friends, and I think I've put together a good sound system. I just want to see if all this would be ok? By the way, I have a 2010 honda fit (sport model)

1 X 18" custom-made subwoofer w/ rockford hx2 motor. ~4,000w RMS

1 X soundstream DTR1.2200

140 amp Delco Marine alternator

1 X Shuriken SK-BT100 (cranking amps-2250, Amp hours-100) in the trunk and stock battery up front.

I'm iffy about the batteries because that's what I know least about....should I have one really powerful battery in the back? Or 2 pretty powerful batteries in the back? OR 2 pretty powerful batteries, one in the back, one to replace the stock?

Sounds nice man. I would go with 2 bt-100's at a minimum. I have heard its not a good idea to run different size batterys or different kinds (a wet cell with a agm) something about draining each other but I have also heard of people running different sizes with no issues so idk. Also, I am pretty sure that the hx2 motor's can not handle 4000 watts daily but seeing that you want be giving it 4000 it should sound real nice.

Well I'm pretty sure the guy who made the sub said it was hx2...I could be wrong, but I know that he has 4 of the same ones walled off in his van running off of 16,000 watts. And I would like to get 2 of those batteries, but that's just out of my budget...could I get the two batteries and keep the alternator stock? I mean, I feel like that wouldn't be optimal, but would it be alright for a few weeks until I got the money for the alternator? I guess I just mainly want to know what's the best way to mix and match the alternator/battery situation for the first few weeks:

stock alternator + upgraded battery up front + extra battery in back

or

stock alternator + upgraded battery up front + no battery in back

or

upgraded alternator + stock battery up front + extra battery in back

or

upgraded alternator + upgraded battery up front + no battery in back

I mean, no matter which one I do I'm eventually gonna have upgraded alternator/battery and extra battery in the back, but I just wanna know which one would be less harmful to my electrical system.

What's the size of your stock alt? I think u said in your other post you had enough cash to get what is listed above plus u had an extra $100 you could spend if thats correct then I would slap that extra note on a higher output alt. 140 is not that big and I am sure if you put another $100 with the price of the 140 you could get a 200+ which would be optimal. Id much rather have a 200amp alt plus a bt-100 then a stock alt(prob what 90 - 100amps) with 2 bt-100's.

You, sure your guys not using TRF motors? I mean I guess he could be using hx2 motors but there about the same as a 3hp which is good for maybe 2500rms not 4000rms.

I don't know the size of my alternator. I know it's pretty small, but I've been out of state for college since mid august without my car and I won't be able to take a look at it until next week. But I think I'll just go to a honda dealership and find out, I'm sure they'll know how to help me with that. And yeah I was thinking that finding a 200+ alt for a honda fit would be hard, and certainly not cheap....I don't know. I'll get the best alternator I can within my price range, and upgrade the battery as well. So upgrading the battery to that Shuriken is ok? Or should I go with like an optima yellow top? I've been told by many people that if I'm gonna upgrade my battery, the optima yellow top's are the way to go.

And as for the motor on the sub, all I know is that the guy who made them has 4 of the exact same ones and he's pushing 4,000 watts to each. But that's not really important since I'm only putting 2200 to mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.