Box Efficiency

for the most part the aq sub would b tune a tad higher. i have used aq stuff and they call for 35hZ+
That's not really what I'm asking.

The suspension on that AQ is like 3x stiffer than the lvl3. That's why they recommend the bigger enclosure.
Ok. Gotcha on that. But does the box being that much bigger not make it a ton more efficient?

That's not really what I'm asking.

Ok. Gotcha on that. But does the box being that much bigger not make it a ton more efficient?
In a perfect world, it will make it more efficient in 2 ways. Theoretically it should make your peak higher, and your musical response flatter. That is not always the case. It is often said that a certain box will be more efficient than another. That really all depends on what frequency is being played etc. For instance, I build a smaller box which gives me less impedence rise and build it to peak at my resonant freq. I burp a 155. I build a larger music box that peaks well below my resonant. The bigger box makes my impedence rise higher and I don't get the extra boost from my resonant freq so I only do a 151.5. Which box is more efficient? It totally depends on what frequency I'm playing. The music box would average out to be more efficient because there is only a 1 db variation in output across a span of 20hz above tuning. The smaller burp box would be more efficient at my burp freq.

All I'm saying is it just depends on what your build is intended for.

If it's for music, larger is the only way to go, but REALLY large has diminishing returns.

Another thing to take into the consideration is the mechanical properties of a sub. There is a reason a certain size box is recommended. It varies with everything from motor strength, to cone mass to resonant freq of the sub. They are all contributing how "efficient" a sub will be. So while one sub want a larger enclosure, another does not.

Look at PSI, they will make your sub to suit your airspace, and power and what you plan on using it for.

Another thing to take into the consideration is the mechanical properties of a sub. There is a reason a certain size box is recommended. It varies with everything from motor strength, to cone mass to resonant freq of the sub. They are all contributing how "efficient" a sub will be. So while one sub want a larger enclosure, another does not.
Look at PSI, they will make your sub to suit your airspace, and power and what you plan on using it for.
Ya I've been chatting with people about this, and I looks like the SDC will be my choice as of now.

AQ 12 in 2.5@27hz 600 watts

DC 12 in 1.5@27hz 600 watts

winisd says the aq will be louder from 20hz to 35ish

35-40hz up the dc will be louder

of course thats before its in a car which things will change when that happens.

and if u do the dc in 2.5@27 there is very little difference in spl

but for the record, winisd shows 2.5 cubes @27 hz the AQ will be flat which even when put in a car it should sound better than the dc

of course thats all just based off winisd.

i have a dc lvl 3 with lvl 4 soft parts, 1200watts 3 cubes@33hz its plenty loud and sounds decent for daily. though i am probably going to change it because i want to trade the spl for the sq, as its too loud and leaves a lot on the table for sq

AQ 12 in 2.5@27hz 600 wattsDC 12 in 1.5@27hz 600 watts

winisd says the aq will be louder from 20hz to 35ish

35-40hz up the dc will be louder

of course thats before its in a car which things will change when that happens.

and if u do the dc in 2.5@27 there is very little difference in spl

but for the record, winisd shows 2.5 cubes @27 hz the AQ will be flat which even when put in a car it should sound better than the dc

of course thats all just based off winisd.

i have a dc lvl 3 with lvl 4 soft parts, 1200watts 3 cubes@33hz its plenty loud and sounds decent for daily. though i am probably going to change it because i want to trade the spl for the sq, as its too loud and leaves a lot on the table for sq
Well I'm only going to have 600-750w per driver. Plus I've always liked my AQ's. By far the most favorite out of the subs I've owned so far.

but notice the tuning? everyone says tune high for AQ?

u also said something about needing power to make them move? sure they can take more power, but so could the dc lvl 3. but off similar power, they perform fine, and at $140 each they are nice

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.