hatch rattle

wevie
10+ year member

Iowa
I never listened to my car from outside. Last night I was out in the sticks and thought I'd give it a listen. Now, my system currently *****, but I'm slowly building it up to what I want. Even with the total crap I have now, the hatch rattle is horendous.

I imagine I'll never be able to completely get rid of it, but what steps are best to take to reduce it as much as possible?

You want to find out what is rattling. If the license plate is mounted to the door, it's an obvious candidate. Some closed cell foam glued to the back should solve that problem. Beyond that, listen carefully and feel around. A rattle is always two hard objects vibrating against each other. Identify the source and find a way to stop it - either tighten it down or put something between the parts that are making intermittent contact. Vibration damper will reduce some of the energy available to drive the rattles but usually won't solve the whole problem.

You wont stop it all together, my hatch rattles where it meshes at the corners, like the latch is in the middle and it rocks back and forth vibrating but its a dull sound. closed cell foam and some bosch wipers might fix you up pretty well. license plate is always a culprit. check that its also not a gas tank mount or heat shield or something under the car, those are always fun lul.

Its actually the hatch lid itself. Like nateberrier said... latched in the middle and the corners are going crazy.

If it was something moving that isn't supposed to move, I could easily deaden it or strengthen it, but the hatch lid itself... well, ya gotta open that sometimes so I can't just weld it shut!!!

Its actually the hatch lid itself. Like nateberrier said... latched in the middle and the corners are going crazy.
If it was something moving that isn't supposed to move, I could easily deaden it or strengthen it, but the hatch lid itself... well, ya gotta open that sometimes so I can't just weld it shut!!!
I built up two bump stops on either side of mine. They are depressable but provide tension on the window before it latches. When you close it, these hold the entire window very snug. It no longer make any sound at all.

I built up two bump stops on either side of mine. They are depressable but provide tension on the window before it latches. When you close it, these hold the entire window very snug. It no longer make any sound at all.
You got pictures of this? I tried to do something similar with rubber hose but it didnt work as well as my brain imagined it

lol well this is a chevette were talkin about so dont expect it to be too sexy, but i also dont want green plastic hanging out my hatch lulz.
Lol, well the reason the tubing didn't work for you is that it is hollow in the middle, so it broke down on itself and didn't remain applying pressure. The goal is to keep some tension on the outer portions of the hatch so that in conjunction with the latch, the hatch cannot move. There are opposing forces on each. So, I would suggest first getting some small squares of all weather carpetting. Try to get some samples //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Then take a dry-erase marker and if you can squeeze it between the window and the body, make a mark showing where you can't go outside of. Cut the carpet to contour and stay inside of your line. Secure it down with some sort of adhesive that could still be removed later on. silicone isn't bad. Apply a pea sized dot, press firmly for 5 seconds and let go. If it's not tall enough to contact the hatch slightly before it's latched, build up until it is. Be careful not to build up too high or you can break/crack your glass. You want it under a little stress, but not much. When it shuts, you should see the sides (where you applied your carpet) stay up slightly. This combined with your weather seal will not allow rattling or much flex in this area and is full of win.

Aye some good advice sir, does having the hatch raised a bit affect the car's ability to keep water out?
It doesn't for mine. I'm sure that all depends on how good the seal is. If you've raised it so the seal does not make enough contact then I'd say water will get in. In my case, the weather seal is pretty tall and still makes excellent contact. You can always test it out. I recommend armor-alling all weather strips and the places they contact anyways. At least clean those locations regularly. Then get a glass of water and pour it while having someone on the inside check for leaks.

my buddy had some hatch rattle in his explorer so he ripped the entire inside panel off...i got in his truck one day and was like dude what the hell did u do to your hatch? and he goes "it was rattlin a little bit so i ripped it off" lmao ghetto but hey u gotta do what u gotta do

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.