Need a new HU.. Pioneer or Alpine? Since Eclipse is no more....

hzsogood
5,000+ posts

**The Clean South**
TX/MN
Ive ran eclipse for the last 8 years.. But when I bought my 3200 a few yrs back, I could tell they are not what they used to be..

I do like pioneer and alpine, and I would like something that has a few nice features including full ipod/iphone controls

Price.. Ehhh 300-400

I'd say alpine just because Pioneer has that retarded ass pico fuse issue. And does Eclipse even make regular headunit anymore? I checked their website recently and all they have are navigation units.

I think they are closed down.. If they have anything this would be the last model year for Navs.. ***** because they used to make awesome HUs

Oh well but this is only the first to suffer big, since every new car that comes out now days is fully loaded with Ipod, blutooth, Nav , rcas, voice command, onstar etc.. I miss the mobile market of the 90s

Anywho.. ALpine huh? Ill have to check them all out.. Its been 10 yrs, since I was in HS the last time I looked at alpine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

oh ****, i hope not, i need to fix my 8445. ****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the only real SQ unit for alpine is the 9887 right? And i guess anything used with the h701

oh ****, i hope not, i need to fix my 8445. ****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the only real SQ unit for alpine is the 9887 right? And i guess anything used with the h701
yea man Id call them and find out.. I had the 8443 forever, but I had a weird issue where every time I would start my car and the HU would turn on it would pop my subs, but it was only when I started it with the CD player on.. Not the radio.. ehh weird. Got the plastic 3200, hated it from day one, but was eclipse faithful so I dealt with it

Im really liking the Alpine -105 and the 305S..

see,s like they got a descent deal on them too, well for Crutchfield with the deal on the Sirius receiver and speakers

Alpine CDA-105 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500IDA305S/Alpine-IDA-X305S.html?search=Alpine+VENDORID500&tp=5684

I had a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X 592 & absolutely hated it.

The RCA grounds shorted out within a year, among other issues, & you can't even see the display if the sun hits it.

Most people on here seem to like Alpine, but I prefer Pioneer myself. & the pico fuse issue everyone complains about is 100% user error. I've had my Pioneer DEH-P6600 5 years & love it.

I had a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X 592 & absolutely hated it.
The RCA grounds shorted out within a year' date=' among other issues, & you can't even see the display if the sun hits it.

Most people on here seem to like Alpine, but I prefer Pioneer myself. & the pico fuse issue everyone complains about is 100% user error. I've had my Pioneer DEH-P6600 5 years & love it.[/quote']

I wouldn't say it's 100% user error since this has been an ongoing issue with Pioneer headunits. If it's from user error only then how come it doesn't happen as often with other units?

I wouldn't say it's 100% user error since this has been an ongoing issue with Pioneer headunits. If it's from user error only then how come it doesn't happen as often with other units?
Its all 100% user error. It happens from having the HU on while playing with the RCA inputs. Ive never had a single issue with the multiple Pioneer HU's Ive installed.

Well beng that where I live, it might be a problem. Either way their quality has gone way downhill IMO. Especially since my 8443

Alpine or pioneer it still is

I personally wouldnt touch a Alpine or Pioneer compared to an Eclipse. Eclipse hands down even with their "decrease" in quality is still steps above the other 2. But to each their own. Heres an Eclipse right up your alley:

Car Audio For Sale Xtant, Eclipse 8V, Soundstream, JL, and Alpine - DIYMA.com

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51304

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eclipse-CD8053-High-End-Head-Unit-Excellent-SQ-RARE-/220659057582?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers

That does it for all the old school Eclipse stuff I can find in good condition. Id head over to DIYMA. They have loads of old school SQ pieces loaded with features and addons for both Alpine and Pioneer.

I personally wouldnt touch a Alpine or Pioneer compared to an Eclipse. Eclipse hands down even with their "decrease" in quality is still steps above the other 2. But to each their own. Heres an Eclipse right up your alley:
Car Audio For Sale Xtant, Eclipse 8V, Soundstream, JL, and Alpine - DIYMA.com

Alpine 9887 for sale, great HU! - Car Audio Classifieds

Eclipse CD8053 High End Head Unit. Excellent SQ! RARE! - eBay (item 220659057582 end time Aug-30-10 12:48:00 PDT)

That does it for all the old school Eclipse stuff I can find in good condition. Id head over to DIYMA. They have loads of old school SQ pieces loaded with features and addons for both Alpine and Pioneer.
I'm not looking for great sq. I'm looking for good functionality which eclipse has been 2 steps behind everyone else on.

If I wanted an sq deck it would be a pre amp or a premier 880.

I do like the new clarions as well

i just picked up a alpine 9886 and have no complaints at all and the ipod interface is better in my opinion then the x001 i had

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.