06 BMW M3 Audio Buildup

AMG ETR
10+ year member

DD Addict
Hey Guys,

Have just been getting into the car audio scene and wanted to post up my first true "post worthy" build. I've had a random subwoofer here and there, but this is my first complete system. It not a crazy wall with 10 18's or anything, but came out clean and nice IMO //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Components Used:

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Digital Designs CS-6.5 Components

Digital Designs CXS-6.5 Coaxials

Digital Designs C4b 4ch. Amp

Digital Designs 2512 (Dry Carbon Cone & Cap)

PWK Designed Custom Enclosure

Digital Designs M1b Amp

Tsunami 4 Ga Flex Cable Power/Ground Wiring

Tsunami Superflex RCA's

Optima Yellowtop (May add a Sherkin/Batcap/Kinetic at some point, but no voltage drop yet)

The Box:

I decided to go with a 12" woofer and wanted something special so I called up my buds over at DD and had them build me a dry Carbon Fiber Cone/Dustcap 2512 D2 to fit my needs. Next I called up Pete at PWK Designs and had him design a rear loading horn for it made specifically for my M3's trunk space. 3 day later I had my design and it was off to grab the wood.

Here are the box build pics :

(unfortunately didn't have access to a table saw or a router so this was all done with a circular saw and jig saw)

The Woofer Going In

DDE2512.jpg

Friend of mine Kenny helping cut the wood

PWKE1.jpg

Bottom and Outter Walls Done

PWKE2.jpg

Port Completed and sealed

PWKE23.jpg

Sub hole cut

PWKE3.jpg

Bondo

PWKE4.jpg

Top on, port painted

PWKE5.jpg

Box complete and bondoed, ready for primer and paint

PWKE6.jpg

Installed in the car (fits PEFECT)

PWKE7.jpg

FINISHED PICS:

Headunit (Whatever Idiot didn't put a rear iPod on the back of the new AVH-P5200 should be shot):

pionhead.jpg

piohead2.jpg

Amps:

m3ddamps.jpg

m3ddamps2.jpg

Door with new DD Components:

dddoor.jpg

Box:

Painted To Match The Car

img_0759.jpg

I will post pics of the box in the car as soon as I finish up the trunk. The woofer is at DD right now for a quick change and as soon as it gets back I will have final trunk pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Don't know why I didn't take any during the 2 months it was in there....

Let me know what you guys think //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Evan

Dude change that head unit, these wires sticking out looks like something someone from the bad part of town around where I live would do with something from walmart. And why does the head unit look like it is sticking out a 1/2 inch?

Also why all DD? What not some nice focal or image dynamics stuff for a nice car like that? Just asking.

Dude change that head unit, these wires sticking out looks like something someone from the bad part of town around where I live would do with something from walmart. And why does the head unit look like it is sticking out a 1/2 inch?
Also why all DD? What not some nice focal or image dynamics stuff for a nice car like that? Just asking.
The wires on that headunit kill me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Didn't know it didn't have a rear imput for iPod till it was installed... I got rid of my Clarion (which did have it in the rear) for this one as an upgrade and was disappointed... Its such a great unit though (functions, speed, etc.) I've decided to live with it for the time being..

As far as DD, well I am the GM/CoFounder of a shop that is big DD dealer so I want to rep. what we sell and I happen to like their products a lot. The comps and coaxs I might have done difference, except there is ZERO mounting depth in this car without going crazy custom and the DD's are slim enough to fit right in!

Thanks for the feedback!

Evan

I do like SQ, but honestly my ear isn't very sensitive, even the stock Harmon Kardon system wasn't horrible to me so a small upgrade was all I really needed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The new DD comps sound great! Especially for their size!!

I'd get a double din radio if it was my car...It would look so much better than the flip out
Unfortunately the M3 is a pain with that too... The A/C HVAC box has to be cut and plastic welded (double din is too deep and hits it) and the install kit for the car alone is $350 as the A/C has to be relocated down below. I would love to do a double din just too big of a PITA and too much install money...

Regards,

Evan

i think everything looks good also good choice on the dd rep what you sell! the head unit would look 100x times better without that da mn cable but other then that i had to look twice cause it almost looked stock.

all he needs is the dash piece for the m3 that has factory navigation and then you can install a double din of your choice
Unfortunately not true. Factory nav is very shallow, unlike aftermarket double dins. The double dins hit the A/C HAVC box behind the radio. There is a kit for this for $400 that requires you cutting the box and putting a panel in there, however it never really seals good. The only right way to do it is to plastic weld a new plate it. The arm for the vent air to footwell air is also in the way and has to be modified. Its just a really big pain to install. We'll see if the cords keep bothering me I may bite the bullet and just do it, as its the only thing I don't like about my install!

Here is a pic of the box in the car since I finally got my sub back from DD //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Sounds great on the M1b @ 1ohm (was formerly on an M80 at 2ohms).

evanddsetup.jpg

Evan

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.