Is it dangerous to run 800W speakers without amps

rocky12345

ja
I have 2 pioneer ts-e6995 800w speakers that I want to put in my car. I cannot afford any amps right now. My radio is a Kenwood - 50W x 4 MOSFET found here...

Kenwood - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck - KDC-MP345U 1.

1. Can I run these speakers on the radio without amps.

2. Are there any dangers in doing this - like my radio getting fried.

3 What is the minimum wattage amps would you recommend for this setup. (I intend to put 2 small speakers in my front doors at a later date)

Thanks

lol tell me if you can hear them. its fine but dumb.
unless I'm reading your sig wrong you've got a 35 watt amp on your speakers. That's a whopping 10 watts more than most units so maybe 1db louder... lol. Abnyway you wont' do any damage to the speakers or the HU. The power rating on a speaker is only how much power the coil can handle thermally before frying, nothing special happens if the amp is too small. Any time your volume is down regardless of how big an amp is a speaker can be recieving very little power.

unless I'm reading your sig wrong you've got a 35 watt amp on your speakers. That's a whopping 10 watts more than most units so maybe 1db louder... lol.
Do you really think his Fultron is barely better than the internal amplifier in most cd players? Really?

didnt' notice it was oldschool memphis until I re read it. An actual 35 watt amp wouldn't be much better than a HU, I'll stand by that part of the statement. IMO, the first few watts of power are by far the most important excess power on speakers is generally overrated, but i run high effeciency drivers and have for years so that does make things slightly different.

By the way, those are 80w rms speakers if I'm reading it correctly... not 800. And your headunit will put out 22w rms (on a good day), so they'll be fine for now. If you're looking to amp them, look for something anywhere from 75-90w rms x 4 channels

didnt' notice it was oldschool memphis until I re read it. An actual 35 watt amp wouldn't be much better than a HU, I'll stand by that part of the statement. IMO, the first few watts of power are by far the most important excess power on speakers is generally overrated, but i run high effeciency drivers and have for years so that does make things slightly different.
...really? You seriously think the sq from the amp on your hu is going to be better than an external amp that puts out the same power? Think again...

I have thrown some really shitty amps in my car, and every single one of them sounded better than the amp install.

And, you say that the first few watts are the most important. You are correct in this statement. So, if they are so important, wouldn't you want those watts coming from a good quality source?

By the way, those are 80w rms speakers if I'm reading it correctly... not 800. And your headunit will put out 22w rms (on a good day), so they'll be fine for now. If you're looking to amp them, look for something anywhere from 75-90w rms x 4 channels
LOL.... what he said ^^

...really? You seriously think the sq from the amp on your hu is going to be better than an external amp that puts out the same power?
He didn't say better, he said it wouldn't be much difference.

If all things are equal, yes I agree. I let people listen to my car all the time, and get comments on the sound of using quality components in the system. Then walk them back to the trunk, and watch jaws hit the ground when they see the rack of blaupunkt amps they complemented me on the sound of, that people say are garbage. hmmmmmm....... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Power does not kill speakers, people do. I do not care what you have ever been told or heard about from so and so who ran speakers off a hu and claims that fried them, or who ran 40 more watts to a pair of speakers than they are rated for, and claims that fried them. Anyone who has ever claimed power ratings, in and of themselves, in the absence of any other factors, can have anything whatsoever to do with speaker longevity is simply wrong. Too much does not kill speakers by itself. Too little does not kill them by itself.

You decide how much power is delivered to a pair of speakers and whether it's clean or not. Running those speakers off the head unit would not kill them. What you do to overcompensate for any sound deficiencies resulting from the lack of an amp is what could potentially do them in. What keeps this myth alive is people who don't know how to run their system within its comfortable limits. They screw up with their tuning or over-drive their system with excessive boost and volume and then blame whatever happens on the fact that they did not match rms wattage ratings closely enough.

I have run 2-3 times a speaker's rms rating and less than 25% of it at different times and never killed a speaker.

Do you really think his Fultron is barely better than the internal amplifier in most cd players? Really?
i dont think he realizes the op is running his hu to his subs not components either... also its my fultron //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There is no such thing as an 800W speaker.

There is also no such thing as a 35W head unit.

The REAL output of a single-din head unit (especially if it's made in japan),

-even if it's operating in class D or K-, is about 4-5 watts at the most.

Unfortunately most equipment specifications in car audio are grossly overrated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.