What would be a good 8 inch sub in a sealed box?

Participant count
  • Participants list

brooks

I am thinking of getting two 8 inch subwoofers and putting them in sealed boxes no bigger than .35 cubic feet per box.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what subs I should look at getting?

I listen to mostly metal music with fast double bass, so I want the subs to be able to keep up with the music (which is why i am looking at the smaller subs) and also be able play pretty loud.

Thanks for the reply

I don't have an amp yet, I was gonna wait and pick out the subs first then get the amp. I am not worried about price, I just want to get suggestions right now, and then I will see what i can afford.

ID 8's are great for response. Not crazy loud, but sound great.

For more output and power handling, SA-8 and DD 1508 both come to mind.

JL W3, W7 both come in 8 formats. More pricey than most claim they are worth, but may as well look into them.

so your max space is .35 per sub? have you thought of putting one 10 in about .7 sealed? any good quality sub whether its an 8,10,12 or 15 will be able to be tight and not miss beats. What are you running for your mids and highs? you may be really happy with a set of components that have good midbass to blend with a sub.

so your max space is .35 per sub? have you thought of putting one 10 in about .7 sealed? any good quality sub whether its an 8,10,12 or 15 will be able to be tight and not miss beats. What are you running for your mids and highs? you may be really happy with a set of components that have good midbass to blend with a sub.
A single 10" would be another good option. Probably cheaper as well.

As far as the space concerns, the ID 8's would work well.

You could also port a single 8.

Originally, I was gonna go with a 10. I even went to walmart and bought a cheap 10 just to get an idea of how it might sound. I thought it sounded OK except the crappy little square box I made out of old plywood sounded like it was gonna break apart. I tested the 10 with a 2 channel amp I have going to my Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 component speakers (I bridged the amp, and it gave out around 260 watts to the sub).

If i go with 8 inch subs instead of a 10, I can fit them under the rear seat in my extended cab silverado in a forward firing box and still let the seat all the way down. I'm not sure if a 10 will fit under there and still let the seat sit all the way down.

I also thought 2 8's might get louder and be a little tighter than a 10.

ID 8's are great for response. Not crazy loud' date=' but sound great.

JL W3, W7 both come in 8 formats. More pricey than most claim they are worth, but may as well look into them.[/quote']

I've actually been leaning toward the ID 8's.

From what I have seen, bot the SA-8's and the DD 1508's are recommended for ported enclosures, not sealed enclosures. And I have always heard that sealed enclosures are better than ported enclosures for the kind of music I listen to.

2 8's have more surface area than a single 10.

As far as tighter, that is enclosure relevant, not size relevant.

ID 8's sound great and don't need a lot of power or space.

Yes, SA-8's and 1508's are recommended for ported.

ID 8's are great for response. Not crazy loud' date=' but sound great.

JL W3, W7 both come in 8 formats. More pricey than most claim they are worth, but may as well look into them.[/quote']

I've actually been leaning toward the ID 8's.

From what I have seen, bot the SA-8's and the DD 1508's are recommended for ported enclosures, not sealed enclosures. And I have always heard that sealed enclosures are better than ported enclosures for the kind of music I listen to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.