18" in trunk... sub back port forward?

CadillacMatt
10+ year member

Disturbing the Peace
Hey all

So I'm going to be installing an 18" Sundown Nightshade in the trunk of my '95 Caddy, and I have been trying to come up with a workable solution for a box design. Been sifting through threads but haven't really seen too many builds with a sub back/port front design or vice-versa. It seems that any other design would take up the entire trunk with little room for any other equipment. This is what I'm proposing:

Top down view of the trunk. The yellow dashed line is the rear deck, about 19" total height clearance. The grey dashed line is the recessed spare tire well, about 6" or so deep. Box sides and top would be built as to contour around the wheel wells.

idea1.jpg

This would be the view from the back, I apologize for the shitty drawing.. it gives the impression that the box is sealed off from the cabin but in reality it would have about 5" or so of clearance (what I'm shooting for...). The woofer is recessed down into the tire well, I could fabricate the bottom of the enclosure out of fiberglass I'm thinking to contour to the floor pan.

idea1a.jpg

Last but not least here is an actual picture of the trunk taken before the sound deadening for visual clarity

DCP_0011.jpg

I would want the box to be about 5-6 cubes of internal volume... I've long since forgotten the trunk measurements and haven't gotten into the specifics of it yet but this was just a preliminary idea I was tossing around... anybody worked with a design like this?

Thanks a million guys

Will sound like crap with the port directly behind the sub. Looks like you have enough room to do 2 seperate slot ports, one on each side of the 18"

It's funny you mention that I was thinking about that earlier... couldn't find anything on Google about it, I don't see why it would be so different from having one large port right? Just to split the difference between the two? Hmm... thanks for the input!

edit: Just saw your reply about the aeroports 813thumper, I hadn't considered that but that would make things 10x easier... sitting here crunching a few numbers and this is what I came up with correct me if I'm wrong at all--

An 8" aeroport would give ~50in² of port area (3.14 x 4²)

A 6" aeroport would give ~28in² of port area (3.14 x 3²)

A 4" aeroport would give ~12-13in² of port area (3.14 x 2²)

I've been reading that true flared aeroports require anywhere from 8-12in² of port area per ft³ of internal enclosure volume, compared to 12in²-16in² with a traditional slot port... and I've also read that one should go towards the higher port area side for more powerful setups... so following that theory, if the box's internal volume is say 6 cubes, assuming I chose to go with 10in²-12in² of port area per cube then the total port area should be 60in²-72in² respectively right?

It seems that two 6" aeroports wouldn't be enough (56in²), two 8" would be way too much (100in²), would I have to do like two 6's and a 4 or some strange combination like that?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a 18" ns in a 00 or something caddy. Sub up port back. Got so nasty loud.
Now I'm thinking about maybe doing a 4th order BP box, but have the port directly through the rear deck. Something tuned low and nasty like maybe 28Hz, sacrifice a little efficiency to make the passband wider, maybe something in the range of 20-50Hz if that might be possible?

Haven't built a bandpass before but I've built enclosures, also been reading up on them for the past two days now so I'm starting to get a general idea... if anyone has any experience I would appreciate it thanks!

Oh by the way if anyone wanted to see this big bastard here it is next to my 15" Fi Q lol

IMG00229-20100722-1534.jpg

sub and port foward sealed off //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif trust me
Yeah x100000000. The loudest trunk car beaters agree.. Just check our build logs. Plus there's an added bonus of no trunk rattle.

AND DON'T USE DIFFERENT SIZED PORTS. Just do a 9" flared aero on the driver's side and throw some power on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.