Question about wiring to amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

KNIV3S OUT
10+ year member

Kentucky
So I just finished installing my system in my new car and it isn't even a fraction of how loud it was in my old, which makes no sense to me because I upgraded from 8ga to 0ga power wire and from 14ga to 12ga speaker wire. The only things I've done differently in this car are grounded my amp to the battery instead of chassis (can't find anywhere to ground on chassis without having to buff off paint) and wired speaker to amp differently. I'm thinking this is where I'm losing all my sound.

I'm kind of new to all of this so I don't really know how to explain how I've got it wired compared to before, so I made some horrible ms paint representations lol.

Shaded circles are where I had/have the wires hooked up.

BEFORE:

BEFORE.png

NOW:

AFTER.png

The reason I did it this way is because somehow the threading in both outer ports is stripped and the nut thingy wont tighten down onto the wire. If it's likely this is my problem does anyone have any idea how I can get them to tighten down?

Oh, the amp's a Hifonics Brutus 1200w BXI 1210D Super D-Class, thought I doubt that matters.

Nevermind. I thought your drawings represented the voice coils on the sub.

My bad.

Your amp's terminals are bridged internally, so it really shouldn't matter which + and - you use.

Yeah I have my sub wired like that. I don't get how I'm losing my sound then, cause honestly you could hardly hear the person in the drivers seat before, and now you can hardly hear the bass. Settings on the HU and the amp are the same, any ideas?

Yeah I have my sub wired like that. I don't get how I'm losing my sound then, cause honestly you could hardly hear the person in the drivers seat before, and now you can hardly hear the bass. Settings on the HU and the amp are the same, any ideas?
Did you switch from a hatchback or suv to a trunk car?

Are you sure the gain on the amplifier is set correctly?

I did go from SUV to trunk but I mean it's an insanely huge difference, I can't even hardly see the sub move now. I don't think the gain has been changed unless somehow I hit it during the move. I don't know I'll just have to go out there and mess with it some more. Grounding to the neg batt terminal wouldn't make that happen would it? I figured it would be better than grounding to chassis (besides the fact that I use more length that way.)

what size wire do you have going from the neg on amp to battery???
0ga for both pos and neg from amp to battery. It's battery cable, real thick I could barely get it to fit into the amp's ports but the dude said it would work fine. Think that's the problem?

you may want to take the speakers out of the box...i had this same problem one day and took my sub out of the box to check it out and one of the tinsel leads had snapped off teh terminal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.