Sub-woofer cutting out randomly (5v instead of 14v on capacitor read out).

Participant count
  • Participant list

UrbelT

So, I've had my system for about 7 years now (no problems ever until the last few days).

It's a 1600w mono class D kenwood to 2x 12" Alpine Type Rs, there is also a digital capacitor which gives me a voltage read out.

The system randomly started cutting out (seems like at peak volume for the subs) then it cuts in for .5 to 1 second and stays off anywhere from 1s to hours. Almost symptoms of it overheating or something.

Either way, I'm sure you guys would know more as to why this would happen (specifically why the cap voltage read out drops to 5v when the system cuts, and 14v when the system is working fine.) Also note that even when the cap is reading 5v the on light on the map is still on, so it's not just losing power.

I checked the wires for the most part, everything seems locked down pretty good, nothing lose or wobbly.

I was thinking of possibly wiring it up without the capacitor and see if there is a change, but I realized that the wires all touch the cap anyway so not sure if it would make any difference.

If any experts can help guide me to the right place to look for a solution that would be great. I'm sure it can be a number of things but perhaps there is one common culprit in these situations?

if the resistance of the ground connection was higher than normal, than the voltage would change. remember that voltage is a relative measurement and requires a complete circuit. the ground is the most important connection as that is how the amp gets it's electrons from the battery. ground should be the same size as power wire, and ground connections should be as good as possible.

start by measuring voltage with a DMM in the following configurations:

1. meter + to amp battery +

meter - to amp ground -

2. meter + to amp battery +.

meter - to chassis ground (bare metal)

if those two numbers are different, and #2 is ~12V while #1 is ~5V then you know you have a bad ground.

if those two numbers are the same, then you may have a bad amp.

verify you can measure the battery voltage at the battery to ensure your meter doesn't have a blown fuse.

a friend just had somthing like this happen the other day and we found it was his second battery was causing the problem dont know if thats a help or not but could be

I had the exact same thing happen. It was an issue with my ground. I cleaned it up (corrosion like mentioned above), even moved it to a spot I thought was better and havent had it happen in over a year.

imo it sounds like your power wire terminal, or something along the lines comes loose. And your cap won't read below 5 volts.

OR it could be grounds. I'd just test the positive/neg wires seperately when it acts it with a DMM. you should get it working in no time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.