How anyone can make a sub box for $60 without Tools!!!!

nissanrider06
10+ year member

VooDoo
Eagan, MN
I've gotten a lot of help from this forum so hopefully this thread will help someone. So I no longer have access to a saw and am not that good at cutting wood in the first place. So I went on craigslist under the services section typed in carpenter and e-mail a few. I found a couple guys who would buy and cut a sheet of MDF for me for $25 + the cost of wood and I just have to go to there shop and pick it up, so I'm looking at about $50 for the wood and cutting and $10 for glue and screws. Now I will have all my wood precision cut and all I have to do is clamp it together and drill in some screws. You will need a drill and should have C-clamps but it could be done without. Anyways I just thought I would share this for anyone nervous about building there own box but want the performance of a custom box. If you think about it, it's also cheaper than most pre-fab boxes. You can carpet most boxes for $25 more. Here is a link to some carpet and a how to capet your box video.

Trunk Liner Carpet Car RV Boat Custom Speaker Boxes+New: eBay Motors (item 400044868905 end time Jun-15-10 14:05:24 PDT)

Here's a link on a carpeting tutorial (note there is 2 parts)

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/ele...ns_carpet1.php

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/ele...ns_carpet2.php

You don't need clamps if your using screws...you use one or the other. Granted using clamps to hold the wood WHILE you screw it, then removing them may make it easier but that's what your buddy is for (holding your wood!) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You can get a circular saw from the pawn shop for $10, maybe less. Then maybe get a $5 sander if your not good at using a circular saw, or just make some guides out of the factory mdf cut.

this is actually a really great idea... helping out a guy who is looking for work and getting the hardest part of building a box done in 1 step

lowes or home depot will cut it for u with there rail saw have ur measurements and find somenone that knows how to use it and they will rip everything for. then screw together and boom a box

lowes or home depot will cut it for u with there rail saw have ur measurements and find somenone that knows how to use it and they will rip everything for. then screw together and boom a box
This. Just cost of wood, glue, screws. I had them do all my cuts last time when my cordless tool batteries weren't holding charge. Worked just fine. Just tell them you need it exact.

I always have Home Depot or Lowes make my cuts for me. first 10 cuts are free, then $0.25 per cut after that. don't point is making my garage all dusty and **** if they can do all the cutting for me for about $2 usually...

I just walk up with a cut sheet and a piece (or two) of MDF and say "I need these pieces". That way if something gets ****ed up, it is their fault and I don't have to buy a new piece of wood. I tell them the cuts have to be within 1/16" for me to accept them. I have never had a problem yet, one kid ****ed up a cut and had to get a new sheet of MDF but then they just cut the first sheet into smaller "project panels" and sold it for even more money...

I've never had to pay a dime at Home Depot for cuts. And I've had them recut and even cut mdf from a "recycled" enclosure.

Just be nice and go when they are not busy.

Usually excellent customer service as long as the MDF is/was from there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.