Complete System Install Cost?

LostArk
10+ year member

WNY
Hello everyone. Nice place you've got here! /wave //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

I'm completely new to car audio and need some advice.

I'm looking to get the following system installed in my MKV VW GTI:

- Head unit (Alpine CDE-102)

- Front & rear speakers (Alpine SPS-600)

- Amp (Alpine PDX-5)

- Sub (Alpine SWS-1043D)

The local Alpine dealer quoted me $1,600 out the door for everything, including installation.

I can buy all the necessary components, hardware, and wiring from crutchfield for less than $1,000. I feel like I'd essentially be paying $600 labor, which seems a tad excessive to me.

No installers in my area are willing to install the system if I supplied all the components. They seem hell bent on trying to rip me off by pushing their high margin off-brands and monster cables, and trying to scare me with premonitions of doom such as "if the system sounds like crap after we install it, we'd have to charge you labor to diagnose and replace defective items." I'd hope that $1,000 worth of Alpine gear wouldn't sound like crap, but I digress.

I'm 100% sure I won't be able to install the system myself. Should I just bite the bullet and pay the $600 labor?

Thanks for the advice!

That stuff should cost you around 800 bucks or so. Yes it's a total rip off to get it installed there for 1,600. Best bet is to learn how to do it if you don't wanna pay up the arse for it.

what makes you think you cant do it yourself? its honestly not that hard and alot more satisfying when you do it yourself. what brands are the other shops offering, and what price for the other brands? alpine is alright, but its not the best like it once was. why exactly do you have your heart set on all alpine?

Do some reading on the forum and become familiar with quality gear before buying anything.

And for the record; Matching all of your equipment by brand name isn't beneficial in any way.

@SRim23: I just have zero confidence in myself. I don't know the first thing about how to install anything. I know I'd just end up f*cking up my car and/or equipment and spending more than $600 un-f*cking it. I had another shop offer $1300 out the door for some Pioneer junk. The whole Alpine thing is more of a coincidence than anything. See below...

@misfit138: It's really a coincidence that all the components I want are Alpine. I just went to crutchfield and looked at what had the best reviews in my price range, and it ended up that way. I'm not looking for the loudest or best system, just something decent for under $1,000.

@misfit138: It's really a coincidence that all the components I want are Alpine. I just went to crutchfield and looked at what had the best reviews in my price range, and it ended up that way. I'm not looking for the loudest or best system, just something decent for under $1,000.
You can do a hell of a lot better for $1,000, bro. Crutchfield's prices are insane...

@misfit138: Wow thank you so much for the suggestions! It is very much appreciated! =)

So a 4 channel amp can power 4 speakers and a sub? How exactly does that work?

@misfit138: Wow thank you so much for the suggestions! It is very much appreciated! =)
So a 4 channel amp can power 4 speakers and a sub? How exactly does that work?
I only linked one pair of 6.5" 2-way components and a subwoofer. Rear speakers aren't exactly necessary. The components do have two midbass drivers and two tweeters, but they'll come with passive crossovers. This means each crossover will be connected to it's own channel on the amplifier. The subwoofer will be wired to 4 ohms and power would come from channels 3 & 4 of the amplifier being bridged.

If rear fill speakers are important to you, you can always buy an inexpensive pair of coaxials at a later time and power them with the cd player...

Misfit has you on the right track. You live in Florida, we have a lot of members from there. If you stick around here a while and look some of them up, you'll probably find someone local who would be glad to help you install this stuff yourself.

Best thing to do is to take it slow and lurk the crap out of this place. Youll find equipment for dirrrrrrrty cheap. People ask if I stole shi when I tell them what I paid for it. Dont go and buy subs and an amp first. I suggest finding a lightly used older head unit. You can get a nice 3-way active unit thats two years old for under 200. You may as well look into upgrading your electrical system too. Youre here so it wont be long before you have 4 amps drawing 6kw. Most of the seasoned members here are a$$holes but if you keep ignoring them and make an effort to learn they can provide good advice like youve already seen. Just dont get discouraged.

im sure there are some florida members that would do an install much cheaper or just help you out. good luck with everything man.

The alpine head unit was okay but I'd ditch the rest of the Alpine gear. You will eventually look at what people ahve here and want more, more , more. I started with everything stock and a Boss powered sub, and now look where I am. Still not done and I don't t think it'll ever be enough. As for installing it I was 15 when I started installing all my gear on my own, including my DVD HU. Just research here, Find what you link compared to what other people are running, and make a selection based off that, not Crutchfield. Crutchfield does have some decent videos on how to install components to read that, maybe even buy the 10 dollar mastersheet from them and learn how to remove all your panels and access your stock components but by no means buy from them, minus maybe your HU for the extra customer service. If you look at more abstract brands like Cadence, RE, Treo, Image Dynamics and so on. Misfit was right when he said you don't need rear fill so just buy some cheap coax later down the road but do the best you can on your components up front.

Bottom line, just follow everyone here, learn how to do things and maybe even find a site dedicated your vehicle because trailvoy.com taught me a lot about how to do things with my Trailblazer. Use the money you saved for install and buy quality components and you won't be disappointed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.