Kenwood KAC-8105D

Participant count
  • Participants list

MONSONwarrior
Premium Member

Constantly Rebuilding...
INTRO

The Kenwood KAC-8105D is the fourth version of the Kenwood KAC-8101D. It is rated at 300 wrms @ 4 ohms and 500 wrms @ 2 ohms. It has a very small footprint of only 11-1/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 9-7/8"D. It is a very stout little package for what you pay. It can be found for around 150 on SonicElectronix. All of the terminals and adjustments are on the same side so they can be covered by the provided cosmetic cover. In my opinion the cover does not really cover much at all, you can still see the wires hang out, it just covers the spades that are required to connect the amp. The adjustments include low-pass crossover, subsonic filter, bass boost, and of course input sensitivity.

REVIEW

Upon opening the box I noticed the amp was just as small as advertised, and I also noticed no visible heat sinks. The reason that there were no heat sinks was there are internal fans and two small vents on the top of the amplifier. That is one of the added bonus's I found over other budget amplifiers in this power range. I liked the thought of spade terminals on the amp because I planned on hooking it up on the back of my enclosure so I could just unscrew everything and lift it out but my plans changed and now it's permanent so those were not a big deal. The downsides I found were that it will get hot without a lot of ventilation due to just the two small vents for the fans to blow air out of so concealed is not a good idea. It seems to do rated, although I do not have a bench score for it, the 500 watts fried a 400 watt sub with very minimal clipping because I used an oscilloscope. As far as value goes it is a very maintenance free amp that puts out rated and is great for small applications that aren't trying to win any competitions.

CONCLUSION

This amplifier packs some punch for it's price point and size, it is very hard to find an amplifier for 150 that is this small and reliable as I have found mine to be. If you plan on doing a stealth install underneath a panel or something I would not recommend this amp, it keeps cool when out in the open or on the back of an enclosure but does not cope well with small concealed spaces. Overall the value of this amp is very good and I would buy it again if I were doing a small application.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

MONSONwarrior

Premium Member
Constantly Rebuilding...
MONSONwarrior
Baton Rouge, LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies