Will it hurt my 120 amp Alternator to run 2 Extra Batteries in the trunk? Help!

swollen_cu
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi, I have a 120 amp alternator and want to run 2 Kinetik hc1200 in the trunk.

Will it hurt my alternator and cause it to go bad?

I'd figure it would be okay and it will just take longer to charge them all as

long as I won't thump for a couple of days of driving and let them charge. I'll just be thumping

every couple of days, not every time. I just don't want my alternator going bad because of this.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Can you??? Sure you can. Should you?? Probably not. Will you??? yes you will. What will happen??? Shortens the life span of your alternator, batts will never fully charge.

I would get a volt meter and monitor it as the voltage drops at a red light for to long the demand on the alt will be much higher to recharge all the battery's back to a nominal voltage, another way to think of it is if you buy a new battery manufactures (of the alt and batt.)both state to make sure the battery is charged before hooking it to the car and starting it otherwise you could overwork the alternator causing it to burn up.

Can you??? Sure you can. Should you?? Probably not. Will you??? yes you will. What will happen??? Shortens the life span of your alternator, batts will never fully charge.
HAHA. You knew I would. Good thing I have lifetime warranty on it...

It will be fine. The alt will see each additional battery as about 5 amp load give or take.
so two hc1200's will only pull 10amps of power? I think you may be a little off on those numbers. If the OP really wants to see what kind of effect the battery's or even an extra battery will have get a Dmm hook it to the battery of the car then introduce the second battery and look at the voltage it WILL DROP just from carrying the second battery now imagine what your amps are going to draw and how fast the voltage is going to go down and have a very hard time ever coming back up. Your best bet would be a high output alt IMO and then more battery's.

so two hc1200's will only pull 10amps of power? I think you may be a little off on those numbers. If the OP really wants to see what kind of effect the battery's or even an extra battery will have get a Dmm hook it to the battery of the car then introduce the second battery and look at the voltage it WILL DROP just from carrying the second battery now imagine what your amps are going to draw and how fast the voltage is going to go down and have a very hard time ever coming back up. Your best bet would be a high output alt IMO and then more battery's.
Do some research. Adding a battery to a charging system introduces ~5 amps to the load imposed. And yes a HO alt will be best to keep his batteries charged, but his question was "Will it hurt my 120 amp Alternator to run 2 Extra Batteries in the trunk?"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.