Box Building Screws or Brad Nails?

Spl170s
10+ year member

Indiana
Sure covered before....but just want clear answers.

I have built my own boxes and boxes for others over the years.... always use to use 1 5/8 coarse thread drywall screws with wood glue. Then started using liquid nails and the same kind of screws. always had to worry about splitting out wood even when predrilled and countersunk.

Now, doing some reading getting back into box building, i see alot of people are just using brad nailers with wood glue. that would be a hell of a lot easier and less time consuming then all the drilling and such.

i always assumed the screws kept everything together that much better...but that doesn't seem to be the case from what i read now....

thoughts?

if going brad nailer....what size nails for 3/4 mdf recommended?

Screws and nails are used to hold the mdf in place until the glue dries. I build some of my boxes with no mechanical fasteners at all. If you predrill the holes it shouldn't split. I've used screws, I've used nails, and as mention nothing but glue. They all work just fine.

+1. Most of my boxes I use screws if it's gonna be carpeted. Some times I'll use staples as i think they hold better than brad nails(I have a pack of 5,000) unopened just cuz i dont wanna use them. And on some boxes that wont take tons of abuse I'll use just glue and clamps. If yours getting split wood your drilling to close to the edge of the wood.

i honestly always thought the screws were the intergal part of the box strength. now, that i know that isn't the case, i can use the brad nails and make things simpleir and less time consuming

i honestly always thought the screws were the intergal part of the box strength. now, that i know that isn't the case, i can use the brad nails and make things simpleir and less time consuming
completly disagree. This is the same with anything in crafting. Take your time and do it right or dont and be sorry.

Screws are best. How can you even compare to nails? Do the pilot hole, countersink and use screws w/ coarse threads unless I guess ya dont care about your enclosures strength, life length or overall sound when the waves reflect and crack the glue. (This does not apply to Pyramid amp or other asian off brand users)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

This is like asking if black tape or soldering is better I mean christ guys....

i can tell you when a box i had in old truck was taken out and basically torn apart to burn... i removed all the screws and had used liquid nails on that one.....those boxes wouldn't break apart after screws removed. literally took sledge to the boxes to break down and faces would break eventually but not the corners.....

so this tells me the adhesive or glue is the most important part of it......

now, maybe as said if you running 3000 watt rms sub amp to a pair of spl subs..... but, for a daily driver setup with 600rms and simple 12" daily driver subs....really that big of a difference?

Well it is the glue that is the factor. Tite bond 2 is the shiznit. I will never stray from it. For best results I do glue clamp the bond then add screws while clamps are still on there. Then 30 mins later remove half of the clamps. And then go to the next bond. Sure it takes a hour or 2 to build the box. But I know it's strong. I have around 20 clamps. Everytime I go to harbour freight I buy more. For 45 a clamp you just cant beat it.

I use a brad nailer, no problems, use titebond, clamp your 2 peices, nail it, wait a few minutes then go to the next, I have use my boxes to hold up the front of a car before like jackstands

completly disagree. This is the same with anything in crafting. Take your time and do it right or dont and be sorry.
Screws are best. How can you even compare to nails? Do the pilot hole, countersink and use screws w/ coarse threads unless I guess ya dont care about your enclosures strength, life length or overall sound when the waves reflect and crack the glue. (This does not apply to Pyramid amp or other asian off brand users)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

This is like asking if black tape or soldering is better I mean christ guys....
As long as you know how to glue, mechanical fasteners are only there to hold the boards together til the glue dries. I switched from screws to brad nails about 6 months ago. I can now build boxes faster with an identical end product.

As long as you know how to glue, mechanical fasteners are only there to hold the boards together til the glue dries. I switched from screws to brad nails about 6 months ago. I can now build boxes faster with an identical end product.
This^

Three clamps, some woodglue, a 2" brad nailer, and 30 minutes. You don't even need the nails if you have enough skill/clamps.

Nail gun is super fast and I'd agree that the only purpose of either would be to hold things tight until the glue sets. The good part about screws is that after the glue dries you can pull them out and sand/router the corners smooth.

Titebond is great, use gorilla glue or liquid nails if your cuts are a bit shaky.

Nail gun is super fast and I'd agree that the only purpose of either would be to hold things tight until the glue sets. The good part about screws is that after the glue dries you can pull them out and sand/router the corners smooth.
Titebond is great, use gorilla glue or liquid nails if your cuts are a bit shaky.
I wouldn't use liquid nails. That's not it's purpose. It's an adhesive, not a glue. Use plain ole' woodglue, made by any manufacturer. It's all pretty much the same.

I use 1.5" and 2" 18ga nails on most boxes, but for higher power applications and larger boxes I use screws.

Stuff like 2-12's 800-1200w and other smallish stuff...nails

Stuff like Cory's 6-DD1512's on 2 DDm3 or our DDemo van...screws. (and fiberglass and 1" threaded rod and welding and...well you get the point)

This^
Three clamps, some woodglue, a 2" brad nailer, and 30 minutes. You don't even need the nails if you have enough skill/clamps.
It's the "enough clamps" part that I have a problem with, lol. I did a few using only glue, but you've got to make half, let it dry, then make the other half. With nails you can just clamp, nail, then move on

agreed on being able to remove screws so you don't jank up your router, but for the average box build, that's not really an issue

PL polyurethane adhesive in the caulk tubes is the best seam sealer you can get.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.