Re-post: 3-way component suggestions

Sq-NoOb
10+ year member

Id like some suggestions on 3-way component sets ( 6.5" ) and 4 inch 2-way component sets. I plan to use my polk audio amp 500.4 ( 90w@4ohms x4) adding a second 4 channel can be done is speakers need more watts....also ill be useing a rockford 3sixy.2 as my sound processor

ok, i replied back, but how would the cadence compare to say a 1800$ set of focal components??
You mean the Utopia Be set? There's no comparison. Can't really compare something that costs an insane amount versus a cheaper set of speakers.

Well you asked in the other thread, I'll answer it here. Active is when you control what frequencies each speaker plays. In a component set the crossover controls what frequencies the tweets play and which ones the mids play. It's obviously a generic preset point that once you put the speaker in a car, is rarely ideal. All cars make things sound different, to get great sound, it helps to be able to play with this. The sound processor your using can fully control what frequency each driver will play. That's called going active, since your actively controlling it, vs passive which is preset. This gives you better SQ and allows you to afford MUCH better speakers too. Most companies use rebadged drivers from other actual manufacturers, and then build a crossover, put their names on it and jack the prices WAYYY up.

For example, someone mentioned cdt in this thread. The tweeter used on their CDT ES line, the CDT ES01 tweeter, is a rebadged vifa driver, no more no less. A replacement from CDT costs 200 dollars, just the tweets. That's because the full speaker and crossover is a bit over 1000 dollars straight from them. The exact same tweeter can be purchased for about $13 IIRC, from vifa lol. The mids from the eurosport line are actually vifa mg's which are maybe 110 a pair, IIRC, the eursports are like 700 or something silly. Point is, with the 360.2 you can save yourself alot of money by using it as a crossover and just getting speakers. For the kind of money you want to spend on components, you can literally get some of the best speakers money can buy of the sizes you want. Skip the middle man, for real.

If this is going to be your first system/install you be better of with a passive VS active.

the Polk amp you have makes 90w X4 @ 4ohms and 250w X2 @ 4 ohms bridges.

if you wanna go passive 3-way, the 250w X2 @ 4 ohms bridges is more then enough .

if you wanna go active, you can get another polk 500.4 so you can have 6 chann of power and you can use that 3sixy.2

tweeters: 90w X2

midrange : 90w X2

midbass: 250w X2 ( im thinking maybe 150w to 200w)

the speakers you need for a active are not that expansive, you can get a nice 3-way set

just a few examples:

tweeters: Scan-Speak D3004 $119.00 each

Scan-Speak Discovery D2608 $80.75 each

SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G $45.35 each

midrange or fullrange : Fountek FR88EX 3" (fullrange ) $22.75 each

Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" (fullrange ) $26.49 each

Morel CDM-54 (Midrange) $299.99 for a pair

midbass: Peerless SLS 6.5" $45.60 each

Peerless SLS 8" $49.40 each

Dayton RS180-4 7" $45.35 each

Dayton RS225-4 8" $53.16 each

BTW the amps you have are fine, it will do the job just fine

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.