Vehicle peak frequency?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have found at least in MY truck 2003 Silverado CC that it tends to add about 10Hz to the tuning of your box, in other words, if the box is tuned to 30 than it peaks at 40, or if the box is tuned to 40 than it peaks at 50 and so on....I know this because I have built about 20 boxes for my truck, but that is just mine, yours could be totally different..

I have found at least in MY truck 2003 Silverado CC that it tends to add about 10Hz to the tuning of your box, in other words, if the box is tuned to 30 than it peaks at 40, or if the box is tuned to 40 than it peaks at 50 and so on....I know this because I have built about 20 boxes for my truck, but that is just mine, yours could be totally different..
We need to keep clear though what and why. EVERYTHING in your vehicle effects its resonant frequency. The box's tuning frequency does not change unless you change the port area, net box volume, or port length. If your peak frequency changes with different boxes (and it will) then you are just adjusting your vehicle's resonant frequency and this does not relate to the tuning frequency of the box.

How do you find or know your vehicles peak frequency? And how much high or lower than that should you tune you box for spl applications?
I drive a 06 silverado extended cab.
im not 100% but i believe your will be high 30's around 38hz and should peak high 40's around 49hz

We need to keep clear though what and why. EVERYTHING in your vehicle effects its resonant frequency. The box's tuning frequency does not change unless you change the port area, net box volume, or port length. If your peak frequency changes with different boxes (and it will) then you are just adjusting your vehicle's resonant frequency and this does not relate to the tuning frequency of the box.
Yeah, I understand that, I was just saying...Good thread here though!

So depending on my box tuning will determin my peak freq? Or is it that every car has a different freq that it will perform at?

So depending on my box tuning will determin my peak freq? Or is it that every car has a different freq that it will perform at?
Your box tuning frequency and Vehicle resonant frequency are two totally seperate things. Anything inside your vehicle effects it's resonant frequency. Usually the more loose things are the lower the resonant. The tighter things are (deadened car with ALL tight bolts and no rattles) will have a higher resonant frequency. It's easier to get loud at higher frequencies so those cars are usually more desireable for spl. Your box will effect your resonant frequency of your vehicle.

The tuning frequency of the box will not change the resonant frequency of the vehicle. You want to match the tuning frequency of the box to the resonant frequency of the vehicle for best SPL results.

Your box tuning frequency and Vehicle resonant frequency are two totally seperate things. Anything inside your vehicle effects it's resonant frequency. Usually the more loose things are the lower the resonant. The tighter things are (deadened car with ALL tight bolts and no rattles) will have a higher resonant frequency. It's easier to get loud at higher frequencies so those cars are usually more desireable for spl. Your box will effect your resonant frequency of your vehicle.
The tuning frequency of the box will not change the resonant frequency of the vehicle. You want to match the tuning frequency of the box to the resonant frequency of the vehicle for best SPL results.
I knew they were different.

But how do I find my trucks resonant freq?

Is this correct?

i thought that vehicle has a resonant frequency of 44hz? as for tuning once you find the resonant frequency (RE) tune the box 4-6hz lower.

as for the way to find the RE of your vehicle you need a tone sweet and a sealed box and a sub! play the sweep and while using a db meter find where your car is the lowest and that is the RE of yoru car and tune respectively! enjoy

If that is true and knowing everything changes your resonate freq. I should deaden everything first build a mock-up box or throw something in there to take up the 16-18 cubes for my box and then try to find it?

To find the res. freq. of your truck for when you have your setup going, I find it easy to use temporary, easily adjustable ports.

It'll take some testing. But for the most part, if you got it metered, the highest db meter would dictate the right direction. However if you have a box tuned to 30hz, and your highest meter is @ 40hz, you could then tune to a higher hz (ex:38hz) and you may then meter even higher at lets say 47hz. It will take testing in the environment you plan to play it in.

Deadening, space, other things in vehicle (such as people) all play into effect.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.