Replaced stock speakers...no bass

eradicator006
10+ year member

Canada
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty. A few months ago I installed these: Total Mobile Audio: Products in the front doors. The tweeters are mounted in the dash where the factory tweeters were. I know they aren't the best speakers but I bought them cheap at a boxing day sale. The 2 components are hooked up to a Rockford Fosgate punch 4 channel amp. The front channel is bridged for the left and the rear is bridged for the right. Deck is an Eclipse CD5030. X-over on the amp is set to AP. X-over on the deck is off.

Now the problem. There isn't much bass at all coming out of the front speakers when sitting normally in the seats. If I crouch and my head is under the steering wheel, then there is nice low end bass. I've already double checked wiring and phase issues. The back door speakers are still stock and are connected directly to the head unit. The rear speakers have more bass.

From what I can tell the front doors are sealed pretty good. There are no holes for the sound to come back through.

Any other things I can try? I'm running subless for the next while until I re-do my box.

Thanks

you know thats gonna have less bass than stock, right?
is it ridiculously low tho?
I knew the new speakers wouldn't have as much bass as stock but didn't think it would be this bad. I've read a few reviews on the same speakers I have and they all said they put out decent bass.

It's hard to explain what is going on. If I am parked and turn the volume high enough, I get some bass. I can really feel it in the arm rest on the door. If I am driving, there is virtually no bass to be heard. I'm beginning to think some sound deadener on the doors will help. I'm also realizing that the tweeters could be drowning out the mids. The tweeters are mounted high up in the dash just under the windshield. Even with the tweeters set to -3db, they are still too loud. I'll have to do some experimenting on the tweeter placement. They might be better mounted in the doors on the same axis as the mids.

I never though components would be so difficult to get to sound decent. I might be better off ditching the passive crossovers and going active.

check your crossovers / subsonic filters.

Some passive crossovers have settings you can change inside them, so check the manual.

My guess would be your subsonic filter (somewhere) is set too high.

I say somewhere because, pretty much everything comes with some crossover settings these days. amps, headunits, crossovers, even speakers have buttons on them now.

check your crossovers / subsonic filters.Some passive crossovers have settings you can change inside them, so check the manual.

My guess would be your subsonic filter (somewhere) is set too high.

I say somewhere because, pretty much everything comes with some crossover settings these days. amps, headunits, crossovers, even speakers have buttons on them now.
Only thing I can change in the crossovers is the tweeter attenuation. Currently, they are set to -3db.

I'll double check the amp for a subsonic filter. I don't think there is one. Just HP, LP and AP. Right now it's set to AP. There is supposed to be a punch bass knob that goes with the amp. I do not have one...must've misplaced it. I wonder if not having the knob connected affects the bass some how. I know on my mono amp (RF t30001BD) that if the bass knob isn't connected there is way less bass...even with the knob set to min.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.