Durango build (BTL18, Z1, SS, Eclipse, dual alts etc...)

k_schutte
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Some may remember on St. Patrick's day my Cadillac was totaled. Well, I was saving up some money for a new vehicle and had about $2K for a down payment and decided to say **** that car payments and just buy something out right. So, I found a 2000 Dodge Durango Sport for $2500, ended up getting it for $2K because the guy needed some money pretty quick for some business expenses (he owns a little construction company). Anyways, It already has an alarm/keyless entry so that was helpful, It is a Texas car, not a single spot of rust! it is AMAZING imo, being form Iowa, even the 2009 cars around here are rusting up under neath...

ANYWAYS, build looks like this:

head unit:

Eclipse CD8445

sub stage:

18" Fi BTL, fully loaded, universal, D2

Digital Designs Z1

8.5ft^3net @ 33hz daily and 40hz for comps

single 12" or two 8" aeros (need to research this more)

Mids/Highs:

SoundStream TRC.6n's (two sets)

SoundStream RUB600.4

Electrical:

4 runs of 1/0

2) C&D 350's

100A stock alternator

300A Ohio Generator alt

I decided to start the thread before the build //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif so for now, here are some pics of the equipment and the vehicle.

Also messing with the vehicle itself too... ordered this stuff for it:

these wheels (sticking with 15" since the thing has BRAND NEW tires, and they are only $40/ea plus I don't have the fourth stock rim and they want $150~ at junkyards for one, also missing a center cap) http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/image.php?type=P&id=16366

head lights: 98-03 DODGE DURANGO HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS BLK 01 02 : eBay Motors (item 140400067847 end time Apr-23-10 20:08:40 PDT)

tail lights: 96-99 00 DODGE CARAVAN DURANGO VOYAGER BLACK TAILLIGHTS : eBay Motors (item 360253712341 end time Apr-21-10 17:55:56 PDT)

Cragar Soft 8's, nice. Thank God you got rid of those gay ass starfish wheels.
Should have left the factory tails imo.
yeah, I was thinking about just getting them tinted or buying those covers but both of those options where like $100+ so I figured WTF. I just think it will look pretty nice with the black wheels and black head/tail lights.

As for the build, dropped the O.G. alternator off to have it converted to a single wire unit so I don't have to mess with any wiring. I should be dropping the vehicle off at TAB Fabrication sometime toward the end of this week so they can do the alternator brackets and everything. Going to start running the new speaker wire (14awg) for the mids and get the RUB600.4 all mounted up. I will probably start figuring out the layout of my box this weekend as well. Not really going to start anything too crazy until I get my deck and all of my wire which should be here by this weekend.

no major progress... Just ordered 50' of red Knu, 30' of blue Knu (didn't have black 1/0 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif) , 40 2/0 copper lugs, 4ft of 1" red heat shrink tubing and 4ft of black 1" heat shrink tubing.

I got my CD player yesterday and will hopefully be installing it today! everything should be here next weekend to start all of the wiring, I should also be able to get the box built and then I will just have to make some aeros...

Yeah man go to advanced and get VHT nightshades for $10 a can
nah... I think I will like those lights...

Also ordered 50' of red wire loom, split conduit stuff... I am just planning to ground to the frame instead of doing a bunch of negative runs too. I am sure the negative runs are probably "better" but I ran only a SINGLE 1/0 chassis ground in the cadillac (sub frame car and it was bolted to a pinch weld) with NO issues at all. Along with the Big3 I will just be doing a few runs to the frame from the front battery and then a few runs from the frame to the rear batteries.

Looks like a fun build. How many miles on the durango? You going to have to do any mechanical improvements? And where are you getting the wheels from? I like.

Looks like a fun build. How many miles on the durango? You going to have to do any mechanical improvements? And where are you getting the wheels from? I like.
quite a bit of mileage because they drove it from Texas to Iowa and back once a month. something like 160K but it is literally almost all highway miles, they bought it specifically to make the trip up here and back to Texas. No real mechanical improvements planned, I put a cold air intake on there but just to make room for the second alternator, other than that just the basic tune-up and oil change. Wheel I am getting from Summit Racing, the four Cragar rims, US Wheels center caps (same exact thing as the cragar centers but they don't say CRAGAR on them so they are like 1/4 the price LOL) and lug nuts for like $200 shipped to my door.

Sadly, I didn't really get any "picture worthy" stuff done today. I ran all of my new speaker wire for the mids, ran all of my RCA's, mounted my mids amp and got ti all wired up except for the power and ground because I have to get all of my power wire runs back to the batteries first. I am hoping I can get that done this weekend, I shouldn't have a problem getting it done. Other than that, I made my "distribution bars" and they turned out pretty good IMO, I need to find some copper washers but I am not sure it is even worth it since the bars themselves are aluminum... I will probably buy copper sometime but it was literally 10x as much as the aluminum and it was going to take longer to get and I was in a hurry, they had the aluminum in stock...

I have about a foot left which I will be cutting in half ans doing pretty much the same thing on that other C&D sitting off to the side in the second picture. That will be going under the hood though. My dial alternator setup should be good to go about mid week as well. The only thing I am at all concerned about is my 12" aero port which Shane won't have for me until I get to the competition on the 7th. Hopefully everything goes smooth and I can put up some good numbers.

let's see more
wish I had more to show! Not much time to work on this thing with the crappy weather and a three year old kid who's birthday was Thursday. Still putting toys together and all that fun stuff! I THINK I am going to have access to a car lift tomorrow which means I can do my power runs, hopefully that all works out. Otherwise, I will post pictures as I get the **** done. This does have to be finished by friday the 7th though since there is a comp that day...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.