What happend to car audio? My little rant

Havoc Evan
10+ year member

I run a small shop, and over the years before and while ive been in business, the whole 12v industry with the exception of a hand full of companies has just went down the drain. I'm sure im not the only person who thinks this.

At one time all of the "big brands" that are now crap were great. I personally blame most of the people that complain about them. People only seem to care about one thing big power for cheap. Well those two things dont go together.

Power and reliablity come from high quality components, design and workmanship (both in the product and installation).

People used to complain that the "big brands" cost to much when they were built well, now they complain that they **** but they are cheap. The "big brands" are just trying to give the people what they want but they can't seem to make up their mind.

So another player showed up. The "very small brands" these brands claim big power for cheap, and they do but there is nothing special about them, cookie cutter boards, heatsinks, designs, and miles and miles of internet hype, fanboys, and general idiots supporting them. The ideal, brainwash the market and do it to the extreme.

By doing this they destroy the industry. Your used equipment is now worth nothing because everyone has it, in one form or another. The local shops (not defending all of them because some are ran by idiots or people that will just rape your wallet) go out of business because their 2000 watt amp cost alot more that you paid for yours (even though it carried a local warrenty and a warrenty backed by the factory that made it). Therefore you loose the installation knowledge. When you loose that alot of stuff seems to break because little johnny thought his factory electrical system could support a 250 amp draw because little johnny number 2 told him a few extra grounds and a piece of 1/0 would be fine. All of this because one of them saw someone on youtube get very loud using his same woofer and amplifier. But because they are stupid they didnt know the person on you tube had a proper enclosure, and electrical system.

Years ago people had common sense they asked people that actually knew what they were talking about. Not just shops but people who actually had a background in 12v electronics or the "big brand" factory's with real engineers and not people that ordered 250 amps from korea or china and had a logo slaped on it. The equipment would last for many many years, didnt overheat because someone had an improper electrical system for the equipment or ran it at rediclous impedances, or a leaky enclosure tuned to 75hz with too little port area. Cutting a hole in your box is not the proper way to port something!

There is no art or anything to be proud of in most peoples work anymore. Almost no one spends time on it. "I built my box out of mdf, deck nails and silicone, ran the power wire threw the door jam across the brake pedal on top of my carpet and for terminations well i just cramed it the best i could". People used to spend as much on the installation accessories as the amplifier and drivers and spent probably 800% more time on the installation. What used to be barrier stripps, carefully ran and terminated wires, amp racks, and trim panels, has turned into thrown together crap.

If you want a high performance 2000 watt system, you cant just save up $1000 and buy a 500 woofer and a 500 dollar amp, and throw it in your car, you will never see its potential and it will probably all meet a horrible end. Why people dont understand this I dont know.

I realize i probably missed about a thousand points and probably just rambled alot but it would take me months to really get this off my chest. But thats the start of my rant and i feel alittle better.

Or tell the gov to do away with all the BS taxes and let hard working Americans keep more of their money so they can afford the nicer things in life.

Well you dont have to tell me that, as a small business owner i get raped by taxes and with this fine new office im gonna get gang raped but lets not get off topic because if this goes politcal no one will hear my rant //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif however, i think alot of the problems in the us as well as car audio have to do with us importing far more than we produce verses the 50's were we were the worlds top producer. People have gotten lazy. American made products cost more sure, but if we didnt throw all the money out of the american economy we would make more so it would even out in the end and we wouldnt be so depended on the chinese devil.

i think alot of the problems in the us as well as car audio have to do with us importing far more than we produce
This is a double edged sword. I'm sure that most car audio guys in the US, given the choice, would prefer to buy equipment designed & built in the USA. The problem with this is cost. Americans don't work cheap and that extra cost gets pushed on the customer.

It's quite simple, really. Most people in the hobby are young, and young people don't have bottomless wallets. The Koreans are building pretty solid amplifiers that can be had for a reasonable amount of money. American manufacturers simply can't compete with that. The alternative is even worse. Say we stop importing amplifiers from Korea. The casual enthuiast will suffer, and the car audio community will become nothing more than a collective of wealthy kids spending mom & dad's money. Think about it, man. If you were a 20 year old college student, would you want to take up a part time job & work 30 hours a week for months just to buy an amplifier?

its technology man. people buy electronics cheap online, discuss products online, and learn to build,tune,install all thru an online shared hobby. I spend hours on here learning new **** daily.. I promise i couldnt walk into your shop and have you teach me at your leisure, as easily as i can search it online and find 10 ppl with real world experience, reviews, videos, pics, all helping me.. its because shop owners assume that joe blow that walks in is a dumbshit and will pay you 250 for some CVR's. sub par woofers at an incredible mark-up. most wont and cant.. but lets not get political.. Do i buy audio from a local shop?**** NO.. but i attend every grand opening sale, competition, whathaveyou.. just because we share a hobby and i enjoy talkin to people about audio. bro.. i have phone calls everyday asking me about audio.. and i am brutally honest to them. If its good, we'll install it or whatever.. if its ****, we'll upgrade and go from there. but i'm not running a busness and b!tching about it online either

This is a double edged sword. I'm sure that most car audio guys in the US, given the choice, would prefer to buy equipment designed & built in the USA. The problem with this is cost. Americans don't work cheap and that extra cost gets pushed on the customer.
It's quite simple, really. Most people in the hobby are young, and young people don't have bottomless wallets. The Koreans are building pretty solid amplifiers that can be had for a reasonable amount of money. American manufacturers simply can't compete with that. The alternative is even worse. Say we stop importing amplifiers from Korea. The casual enthuiast will suffer, and the car audio community will become nothing more than a collective of wealthy kids spending mom & dad's money. Think about it, man. If you were a 20 year old college student, would you want to take up a part time job & work 30 hours a week for months just to buy an amplifier?
Unless we are talking about small companies like Sundown Audio, where the products (amplifiers, in this case) are tested (not even made, mind you) by a person who lives and breathes car audio, US labor is a joke. Do you guys really think it's any convenience GM and Chrysler needed a bailout?

I'm perfectly content with my products being made overseas, knowing that they are tested properly. But considering that the OP's high and mighty mainstream companies aren't even made in the US anymore, makes the whole point null and void...

This is all true. $1/watt is retarded these days, especially when technology is at it's peak.

Well you dont have to tell me that, as a small business owner i get raped by taxes and with this fine new office im gonna get gang raped but lets not get off topic because if this goes politcal no one will hear my rant //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif however, i think alot of the problems in the us as well as car audio have to do with us importing far more than we produce verses the 50's were we were the worlds top producer. People have gotten lazy. American made products cost more sure, but if we didnt throw all the money out of the american economy we would make more so it would even out in the end and we wouldnt be so depended on the chinese devil.
I lol'd right here. The economy of the US was at it's best in the '40's, not the '50's, due to World War II.

So, in conclusion, OP is butthurt because he's a shop owner and isn't making as much money as back in the glory days.
Get over yourself.
That's pretty much what I took from it too. The guy's pissed because more & more kids are learning about car audio through online forums. It's tough to sell a pair of Kicker Comps in a prefab box for $300 when so many people are discovering "the small companies that are killing the industry". It's probably tough to sell a Rockford Fosgate P300-1 for $225 when the "chinese devils" are producing reliable/affordable amplifiers that'll do 1,000 watts rms for the same price too.

I feel so sorry for him. It really is a shame.

That's pretty much what I took from it too. The guy's pissed because more & more kids are learning about car audio through online forums. It's tough to sell a pair of Kicker Comps in a prefab box for $300 when so many people are discovering "the small companies that are killing the industry". It's probably tough to sell a Rockford Fosgate P300-1 for $225 when the "chinese devils" are producing reliable/affordable amplifiers that'll do 1,000 watts rms for the same price too.
I feel so sorry for him. It really is a shame.
Bro, there are just so many lulz in this thread. I almost died when I read this,

Years ago people had common sense they asked people that actually knew what they were talking about. Not just shops but people who actually had a background in 12v electronics or the "big brand" factory's with real engineers and not people that ordered 250 amps from korea or china and had a logo slaped on it. The equipment would last for many many years, didnt overheat because someone had an improper electrical system for the equipment or ran it at rediclous impedances, or a leaky enclosure tuned to 75hz with too little port area. Cutting a hole in your box is not the proper way to port something!
and,

There is no art or anything to be proud of in most peoples work anymore. Almost no one spends time on it. "I built my box out of mdf, deck nails and silicone, ran the power wire threw the door jam across the brake pedal on top of my carpet and for terminations well i just cramed it the best i could". People used to spend as much on the installation accessories as the amplifier and drivers and spent probably 800% more time on the installation. What used to be barrier stripps, carefully ran and terminated wires, amp racks, and trim panels, has turned into thrown together crap.
I guess he doesn't realize that the people who don't spend time on working on their stuff are the ones who go to shops, like the one he works at? I mean, besides the blatantly obvious fact that if you go to a shop, you're having someone else do the work for you, but the point I'm trying to make is that the people who go to shops are the people who want "bump in the trunk" and don't care how it gets done, as long as they can show off their trunk lid buzzing and their super cool alien looking cone of their Kicker Comps in the sealed prefab box to their buddies.

Years ago people had common sense they asked people that actually knew what they were talking about. If you think about it, now people have the common sense to research what they are buying, before they buy. As Misfit mentioned, people will discover that for the same price as that shiny RF P300-1, you can have four times the power. Not just shops but people who actually had a background in 12v electronics or the "big brand" factory's with real engineers and not people that ordered 250 amps from korea or china and had a logo slaped on it. The equipment would last for many many years, didnt overheat because someone had an improper electrical system for the equipment or ran it at rediclous impedances, or a leaky enclosure tuned to 75hz with too little port area. That only applies to prefab boxes, which no one online who actually buys nice equipment from those small companies "that are killing the industry" uses. Cutting a hole in your box is not the proper way to port something! Ironically enough, you talk about the glory days which were the 1990's, yet in the '90's no one knew how to make a ported box properly. lmao
But the biggest irony here is this:

You hate on these small internet companies, that have "nothing special about them, cookie cutter boards, heatsinks, designs".

But what place do you have in "the 12v industry"? Oh, you work at a shop that sells the same exact products as other shops. Sound familiar?

i guess i mad bro, but whatever. it's 6 am, i have to stay up until 7 anyway so i can move my car to a spot where i can park during the day without getting a parking ticket, and i have nothing else to do except get worked up about **** on the internet.

OP should become a politician or something. He really did a good job at trying to disguise why he was really posting this, but once I realized it, it came to bite him in the ass tenfold.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.