Why do XXXs weigh so much?

yeah with those spiders. **** yeah
Spiders dont affect thermal limits.

Instead of wondering if it can be over powered safely, you should be asking yourself how big a box you could fit in your vehicle. The new xxx dont want a lot of power, but they do want a large enclosure (contrary to RE's enclosure specs).

Spiders dont affect thermal limits.
Instead of wondering if it can be over powered safely, you should be asking yourself how big a box you could fit in your vehicle. The new xxx dont want a lot of power, but they do want a large enclosure (contrary to RE's enclosure specs).
I am going to disagree on the power thing. until I upgraded my alternator, the sub barely moved.

I am going to disagree on the power thing. until I upgraded my alternator, the sub barely moved.
If you mean it needs a lot of power, yes it does. But it doesnt like to be overpowered like many other top of the line subs these days do. They have a reputation for burning coils, or yes, ripping spiders. One is a thermal issue, the other is mechanical. Thermal failure is dominated almost solely by current capacity versus input current, mechanical failure is affected by current but is dominated by enclosure size. If you want more low-end or output out of your xxx than the manufacturer specified wattage and enclosure size suggests, you'd be better off up-sizing the box (it's t/s specs show it wants anyway) than you would by increasing amplifier size.

Id suggest modeling out the sub's t/s specs in WinISD or similar and finding out what box size it suggests, or calling RE directly and see if you can get someone to give you better info beyond their advertised recommendations. Actually, Id do both, and Id still assume I will probably make 2 or 3 boxes until Im satisfied.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.