RE Audio XXX 15 ***** balls.. Why???

vingasoline
10+ year member

I am running a newer model XXX 15 off a 2000w soundstream tarantula.. The big old school crome one with the tarantula on top... 275A alternator, big 3. Box is 4 cubes ported to 35hz. Crossover @ 80hz.

The sub is decent on the low end, very loud, not really a monster like everybody says. When you get into the punchy bass, the output is very low, and it has no impact at all.. Rap sounds good, metallica sounds like ****. sony xplod style..

Is that how this sub performs, or is it error on my part? The only thing I see that I may have done wrong is using 3 3" round ports..

Id start out with trying alittle more than 21 sq in of port area. Ive never tried the newer version xxx though. I had an older 18xxx and didnt like it too much.

Yeah, you need more port area. How long are your ports? Are they normal 3" pvc or actual aeroports? Is the 4ft^3 after sub and port displacement, or before?

thanks for the replies.. box is 4 cubes after sub and port displacement. I have no room for a bigger box.. Ports are 3" ABS 12" long.. What is the reccomended port area for this subwoofer. What would be ideal tuning to make metallica sound good?

You need to make a new box. Plus I have heard the new xxx's don't compare to the old one's. Maybe 2 6" aero's and a little over 4 cubes of airspace not including sub displacement or port. I would also tune lower than 35 on a XXX.

thanks for the replies.. box is 4 cubes after sub and port displacement. I have no room for a bigger box.. Ports are 3" ABS 12" long.. What is the reccomended port area for this subwoofer. What would be ideal tuning to make metallica sound good?
4ft^3 with three 12" long 3" ports gives you a tuning slightly under 32hz. General guideline for port area is 12-16in^2 per ft^3 for slot and pvc ports, and 6-9in^2 per ft^3 for aeroports.

You also might want to try sealed, as it's a woofer with very low fs and a qts of .5, which generally points towards a sealed box woofer. Not to mention the EBP value(fs/qes) of 38 also points to using a sealed box. And with 50mm+ of xmax, you'll still have a good deal of output.

Umm get better front speakers. No sub will make metallica sound good. Rock music is mostly about frequencies above 80hz. Also the XXX is definetly designed to play loud and low more than anything, so probably not the best sub choice overall. Anyway with your space constraints I'd seal the box off and add polyfill to try to make the enclosure act as if it's a bit bigger. You really don't have enough space to port something like that.

Umm get better front speakers. No sub will make metallica sound good. Rock music is mostly about frequencies above 80hz. Also the XXX is definetly designed to play loud and low more than anything, so probably not the best sub choice overall. Anyway with your space constraints I'd seal the box off and add polyfill to try to make the enclosure act as if it's a bit bigger. You really don't have enough space to port something like that.
Phoenix gold zero point 6.5s up front.. Before the xxx, I had 2 12" juggernauts, and anything I played sounded awesome, and extremely loud.. Might just put the juggs back in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.