New here, need thoughts on my system

kr15
5,000+ posts

Polluting Residentials
California
Ok, new to this site. Not new to car audio, at least on a general level. So I have a system that Im not satisfied with...I just want some thoughts on it

I have a Fosgate Punch 800a2 amp and its a solid amp. Dont have exact birthsheet for mine, but i know that these do 1000-1100rms (this was confirmed by Fosgate Tech support or whatever) I have 4ga Memphis wire (not that cheap **** thats all outer coating)..My subs are 2 Kicker CVR dual 4 12s in a Kicker ported box (this is probly my problem, CVRs ****, as do ported boxes)...Subs are wired in series to present a total load of 4ohms and amp is bridged at 4ohm (according to RF.COM amp calculater im losing about 100 watts or so) so I figure each sub is getting a solid 450rms...My problem? Well, i think 2 12s getting almost a 1000 rms should hit alot harder than mine do..Do these Kickers just ****, or is my electrical just not good enough? My electrical is completely stock. My alternater is 102 amp. I have no capaciter, no big 3 upgrade etc..Oh, i have a shitty ass Pioneer 11e deck and i think the preouts are only like 1.5 or 2 volts. I keep the bass on my deck at -6 because I dont believe CVRs could handle a solid 450, especially in a ported box.......So my question for you guys. Trash the subs? Upgrade electrical? Go sealed box? (which i know i should overpowering the subs like that) Have you guys heard CVRs sound good? or are they really just a glorified entry level sub? For the sake of comparison, i got these CVRs in a trade for 1 Memphis m3 12 in a sealed box, and with only about 450rms going to it, it hit almost as hard as both CVRs and sounded 10x better.......thanks for your input guys

nice setup

I really like those old school Rockfords...

CVRs are decent subs...they shouldnt **** that bad

your problem is likely the Kicker box (tuned to high?)

capacitors are a waste

Big 3 would be helpful

I just sold my 4 Kicker CVR dual 4 ohm( just like the ones you had) I had 2 a bazooka 800 watt amp hooked up to eat one, running in parallel, and each sub was getting about 400-425rms. I liked them but im going for something a lot louder... but if you wire them in Parallel and present a 2 ohm load you will be able to tell a louder difference in them...

well, my amp at 4ohms is already overpowering them. I could run them each in paralell and present a 2ohm stereo load to my amp (2ohm stero is 400rmsx2, so probley about 500x2 actually). And yes the box seems to be tuned high, maybe 42 or so. I hate ported prefab pieces of ****...I guess my sound preference is about 70/30 spl/sq..I want high spl with moderate sq...For comparisons sake, my buddy is selling a Treo 15in SSi dual 2 in a nice box, so we hooked it up to my amp at 1ohm mono (unadvisable) and it seriously hit 3-4 times harder than the Kickers, and sounded better. I know, Treo shits on Kicker and comparing a 15 to 12s is like apples and oranges, but the difference was astounding. The treo is rated at 750rms (hear they can handle much more) and I have no idea what my amp was pushing at 1ohm mono, but must have been at least 1000rms, and the treo took it no sweat...thoughts?

Forgot to add previously- despite the 400rms rating, Kicker only reccomneds 300 in the ported box...perhaps pushing them too hard?

well, my amp at 4ohms is already overpowering them. I could run them each in paralell and present a 2ohm stereo load to my amp (2ohm stero is 400rmsx2, so probley about 500x2 actually). And yes the box seems to be tuned high, maybe 42 or so. I hate ported prefab pieces of ****...I guess my sound preference is about 70/30 spl/sq..I want high spl with moderate sq...For comparisons sake, my buddy is selling a Treo 15in SSi dual 2 in a nice box, so we hooked it up to my amp at 1ohm mono (unadvisable) and it seriously hit 3-4 times harder than the Kickers, and sounded better. I know, Treo shits on Kicker and comparing a 15 to 12s is like apples and oranges, but the difference was astounding. The treo is rated at 750rms (hear they can handle much more) and I have no idea what my amp was pushing at 1ohm mono, but must have been at least 1000rms, and the treo took it no sweat...thoughts?
Forgot to add previously- despite the 400rms rating, Kicker only reccomneds 300 in the ported box...perhaps pushing them too hard?
what kind of amp is it??

they can take it...if you are careful witht he gains and with the music you listen to

no bass boost lol

i would do a mono block amp and run in parallel and they well sound good... anything 800-900 RMS and they will sound good i was pushing about 400-450 and they sounded pretty nice for CVR 12"'s

CVR's are actually a decent woofer for their price tag. I'm guessing the box is not helping you at all.

If you have the time, building another box for them could help. However, sealed in most cases will drop you 3db's. Making you hit softer. Though it should flatten out your response curve if done properly.

You maybe expecting too much form them? Wish can be understood.

If all else fails, i would jump into something you know you do like, such as the Treo. There are a million options out on the market. So getting something you KNOW you'll like seems logical. However, i know that there are plenty of people on this site that will happily sell their favorite brands to you haha. Best of luck.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I may get the treo 15, in which case I will probly pair with a Hifonics Brutus (only because these seem to be the cheapest one ohm stable amps that push respectable power..despite my 800a2 capable of 1ohm, its not a good idea on a daily basis)

Or I may get 2 Memphis 12s, or perhaps a 15. I have had good experience with Memphis.

Getting a new box is also an option. So, I'll likely decide from one of these 3 options.

And yes, I was expecting too much from the CVR's, having never previously heard a pair. I thought a CVR would be on par with a Memphis M3, which it sure isnt.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I may get the treo 15, in which case I will probly pair with a Hifonics Brutus (only because these seem to be the cheapest one ohm stable amps that push respectable power..despite my 800a2 capable of 1ohm, its not a good idea on a daily basis)
Or I may get 2 Memphis 12s, or perhaps a 15. I have had good experience with Memphis.

Getting a new box is also an option. So, I'll likely decide from one of these 3 options.

And yes, I was expecting too much from the CVR's, having never previously heard a pair. I thought a CVR would be on par with a Memphis M3, which it sure isnt.
I would look into audio pipe they atleast do rated. hifonics is junk.(I used to run it)

I may as well plug the forum boners to let you know what's on the rage in 70/30 spl to sq this week haha. Maybe you'll have a chance to hear one of them.

AQ SDC or HDC

DD 1500-3500

IA (most lines)

All pretty affordable. And I am quite sure that they will put your CVR's to rest.

I would look into audio pipe they atleast do rated. hifonics is junk.(I used to run it)
Audiopipe is pretty reliable and won't break the bank, Hifonics is budget, though i wouldn't say junk. They seem to draw a decent amount of current, do close to rated; nothing too special, but could be much worse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.