is it my battery ?

tjjohnson91
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
alright so i was showing someone my jammer and i had the volume up loud and sub pounding..... watching the volts they never got below 12.75...then i drove home doing about 45 or so b/c of the roads..... i get into town and at idle it was only getting about 14.2 volt to 14.0... i do have a stock battery in that i was going to upgrade tomorrow but could this be the cause of my battery being shot and not taking a charge or is my alt getting weak?

If you're not dipping below 12.7, you're fine and although it wouldn't hurt, replacing the battery isn't necessary.

I don't get the question here?

alright so i was showing someone my jammer and i had the volume up loud and sub pounding..... watching the volts they never got below 12.75...then i drove home doing about 45 or so b/c of the roads..... i get into town and at idle it was only getting about 14.2 volt to 14.0... i do have a stock battery in that i was going to upgrade tomorrow but could this be the cause of my battery being shot and not taking a charge or is my alt getting weak?
just use a fluke and test the voltage your battery is puttin out when the vehicle is at idle and see if it matches the reading of the volt meter inside your vehicle

If you're not dipping below 12.7, you're fine and although it wouldn't hurt, replacing the battery isn't necessary.
I don't get the question here?
I didnt really get the question either. Everything he described sounded legit to me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

He's worried about the car idling at 14.0. Because it is a common misconception that all cars idle at 14.4, when this is not necessarily true.

You are fine OP.

just use a fluke and test the voltage your battery is puttin out when the vehicle is at idle and see if it matches the reading of the volt meter inside your vehicle
There is absolutely no way to test the battery voltage when the vehicle is idling. You would be testing the highest source of potential. In this case that would be the alternator.

No the problem is that my alt does not seem to be making enough volts. Like it states its running at 12. 0 or .1. And normaly the thing idled at about 12.25 or so. Buy maybe I'm worry to much about that. Do you think it will be ok

yeah don't take measurements with it turned up. Turn it up to maybe 5 or so check voltage at idle. Then turn on headlights and also check voltage.

**** my bad its 14.1 and 14.0 when idle and from what i have seen it normaly stayed at .24 or so who knows
I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen my alt range from 14.2 to 14.6 at idle. Things like temperature and current draw can effect it. I would however do the Big 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.