JL Audio XR650Csi vs Image Dynamics CTX65cs

turbognx
10+ year member

I can't decide and it's driving me insane. Any opinions on the JL's vs the ID's. I'm looking for SQ first and then strong midbass with detailed highs. Would a comparably priced set of DLS or Focal blow both of these away. I'll be feeding them 125watts.

Unfotunately where I'm at in Michigan the local audio places only carry the Jellos'.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I know everyone says just listen to different speakers and choose the one that i like. I do whenever possible, but I'd also like to hear other opinions. For me the opinions on these car audio forum sites are priceless becuase there generally unbiased. What I mean is, it's not like a magazine review where they're trying to keep advertisers happy. Some of these car and audio mags will give a good review when everyone knows what their reviewing is a piece of junk but they won't bad mouth it because they don't want to lose that potential advertising dollar.

I have thethe JL set, and while they get loud and sound pretty good I was very dissapointed in the woofer. Mid-bass was very lacking in mine. The 4's are a little harsh at upp vocal range but i was bale to clean em up with the eq. On rock music and more vocal kind stuff they sound great but hip hop is a little sh!tty. Just my opinion

had em on 250w at first and was a bit too much(obviously) now they are on about 90w and sound decent but could prolly be happier with a lil more power.

Jls if you have them on a decent amp, however if you have them on some cheap piece of junk, they wont sound nearly as good.

JL is the best man.

Unbiased, puuulease.

I have had many different sets of comps and the ID CTX are an excellent bang for the buck. Your install will help or hurt midbass more that the speaker itself.

Seal off those doors and deaden the vibrations. You want to block the rear of the driver from reaching the front. The CTX are not midbass monsters, but if installed properly you can cross them at 60 or so and they do ok.

I have heard both. I just finished my first ever build and I would have put whatever sounded best to my ears in my truck, brand made no difference. I listened to three sets at various shops around. Kicker QS, JL Evolution C5s and The Id's. The Id's sounded best to me so that is what I went with. Very smooth, detailed, articulate and excellent midbass. I have two layers of edead80 on the doors and 150rms to each set. I listen to mostly rock, alternative indie type music. For the money, they are fantastic! Hope this helps.

A good set of comps properly powered should have excellent sound quality and get plenty loud. The biggest things factors for me were tweeter smoothness and midbass performance. The Id's won by a mile.

here's two links you could read there's acually a whole article in the mag
Full Range System Roundup, Jl Audio C5-650x, Kenwood Excelon KFC-X1710 more - Car Audio & Electronics Magazine

Full Range Speaker Roundup, Part 3 - Car Audio and Electronics

also keep in mind the JL set you are considering is discontinued. but in the round up they tested a 550 dollar JL set to a 170 dollar ID set and the ID set won.
Thanks a ton. Very helpful articles. Oh, and I know the XR's are discontinued thats why I was looking at them. They can be found real cheap right now, under $180 shipped. And from my personal listening comparisons I think they sound as good if not better than the C-5's that are replacing them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.