Vintage Mind Blower speakers???

SilverBullet6.0
10+ year member

Everytime I install modern stereo components, my father tells me stories of his audio systems back in the day, circa late 70's. Although the cars change in each story, he always mentions "Mind Blower" speakers. He said they were 6x9 speakers with thier own amps mounted to them. I did some research ad found out they were made by Pyramid. I would really like to get my hands on a set and surprise him on a future restoration project. Plus, I'd love to look at and hear these things. Anyone know where I might find some, or any other info about them?

I bet you they sound like ass.. most people want to believe that what they listened to back then is better than anything new and without the chance of side by side comparison they keep believing it

I know they prolly sound like crap by todays standards. Im more interested in the nostalgia of them. In his day, a 69 camaro or late 70's firebird with cragar ss wheels and mind blower speakers were the coolest cars. Id love to set up a car the way he wouldve back then, and get a sense of "experiencing" that era.

since im an old fart ill chime in......

Back in the day we had no subs , 6x9s were the pretty popular

speaker upgrade as most cars had that size rear deck speaker opening...Some of the popular ones were Jensen,Pyle,Sony and even the

Midblowers....Mindblowers were junk - just like everything Pyramid makes total garbage..Pyramid of the 80s is very much like it is today

overseas low end audio

Pyle 6x9s were the best 6x9 IMO,very heavy 70oz mag and made in the USA-YES USA !

I had mine powered by a Sherwood 90x2 Amp and a Pioneer Cassette deck.....BALLIN !

Used to buy all this stuff on Canal St in NYC,guys used to buy the stuff and do installs right on the street

Ahhh the good ole days - the Ebay seller with the Mindblowers has a few old goodies...LOL

Tis true, all we had were 6x9's that were overpowered as possible. My favorite that I owned was the Alpine 6x9 subwoofers, which were 150 watts each which was mentioned previously was big power back then. I too had a Sherwood amp (it was square, huge fins for heat dissapation.) I don't remember what size it was, perhaps 100x2. Later on I moved up to an MEI amp, which was really nice but later in its life started going into protect alot.

I think my first real "subs" were Gem Sounds - direct kicker c12 knockoffs made at the same plant.

Gem Sounds was Gemini if I am not mistaken....They also made turn table mixers

as well as large format speaker systems - They are still in biz

I had 2 pair in an OPEL Manta and it ROCKED! My dad and I mounted a set in the front doors and a set in the back deck. Each set had a small switch to turn the amp on that we mounted under the dash by the system. My system was a Pioneer Supertuner with a cassette deck. It was very nice for the day.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...