Install Thread 08 Chevy 2500HD

Participant count
  • Participant list

Moe Lester
10+ year member

1/3 of TEAM PWNAGE
Houston, TX
Hello All,

I am putting a little setup in my truck for fun. The components as of right now are:

H/U - Stock - I don't want to mess up the way the dash looks with an aftermarket unit.

Signal Processor - Rockford Fosgate 360.2 - Should make up for the Stock H/U //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Midbass - Usher Audio 7" with Phase Plug

Tweeter - Morel MDT 12 (I am testing this out, I have another in mind if this one doesn't work out.)

Active Crossovers via Rockford 360.2

Amplifier for Front Stage - Rainbow Ipaul 3.400

Wiring - Knukonceptz, Monster, and Dayton

Deadening Material - Second Skin Audio

Sub Amp - Ipaul 1.1000

Subwoofer - ??? Undecided

The goal is a nice front stage leaning more towards SQ. Everything must remain stock looking. The sub(s) will probably not be using the 1kw on tap either.

On to the pics

Here's the stock midbass compared to the new Usher Audio 7" mid with an aluminum phase plug.

PC280181.jpg

PC280180.jpg

To fit the oversized driver into the door I fabbed up some simple baffles. They are secured to the door with standard sheet metal bolts and have a layer of foam between the wood and door to help seal and eliminate any rattle that may occur.

PC280177.jpg

I had to bust out the sawzall to open the door up a bit, as the factory skin doesn't have a large enough opening. You can also see that the door skin that you see from the outside has a layer of sound deadening on it.

PC280179.jpg

Sound deadener was used to cover the main openings in the door to help get closer to an infinite baffle setup as possible in a door. I didn't want to go too heavy with the stuff though as it is thick heavy material and by tapping on the door the sheet metal no longer resonates badly.

PC280182.jpg

The speaker is soldered in and the run of wire goes directly into the amplifier. I do not like connections anywhere in the line that can potentially fail.

PC280184.jpg

And the speaker is now installed. The screws go through the wood and also into the sheet metal of the door.

PC280185-1.jpg

I would have liked to use a pan head screw or a hex head screw for installing the speaker, but now I am just nit picking myself on what I have available lol.

PC280186-1.jpg

More to come tomorrow. It is dark outside and I don't have any good work lights. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Hola Mr. Moe.

Are you not worried about the baffle absorbing moisture? If they're treated, then disregard that. Also, with the baffles, it looks like some chamfering behind the mids can be beneficial, as the gap between the flange and the spider landing looks small.

ZA14W08-mech.gif

I would like to chamfer them, however that requires alot more metal to be removed from the door also. As far as moisture goes, we will just have to see how it goes. I'm sure I will remove the door panel again at one point and I'll do an inspection to see how things are holding up.

Simple A-Pillar modification to install the new tweeters --

The factory restrictive grille was opened up so the sound wasn't so muffled by a few tiny pinholes rather than an actual opening. The pillar itself was outlined and opened up some as well. The tweeter was attached to the pillar itself, and the factory trim piece got wrapped up in some black grille material. I am somewhat split on the look. Half of me likes the contrast the black material looks over the pillar and the other half of me wants it to be a factory matched cloth. It is easy enough to change though. These pillars take only about 30 minutes per side to do as well, and it is an excellent way to get a little better sound out of an aftermarket setup in your newer Chevy.

PC290026.jpg

PC290027.jpg

PC290029.jpg

PC300036.jpg

My vote goes to the factory matched cloth color. Since you stated that the black contrast is more appealing to the eye, it might have an psychoacoustic affect (visual localization).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.