Hifonics Warrior Taurus X (sort of review)

Suicide Bobb
5,000+ posts

SPLC Fails
I just bought around 50 amps for $200, all of which were supposedly blown. I took my 12 volt battery charger and clamped the positive and negative ends to the ground, power, and remote wires (remote and power ran to positive), and went to test them all out. First amp to work was an Infinity 102a, then a Kenwood KAC-742, then a Hifonics Thor VIII, then...a Hifonics Warrior Taurus X.

Noticing it had a lowpass filter, I hooked up my Phoenix Gold Octane R to it, set the gain to like 15% and the Sub Boost to max, and turned the volume on my ipod down to 5%. The PG sub was only running off one 4 ohm coil, of which it has two of.

After I hooked it up, I was amazed to hear it overpower the sub at 75% gain (the gain seems to never distort, probably because it can't match the input sensitivity of the iPod)! Then I read it was 1 ohm stable, and quickly ran the coils in parallel to the amp bridged. It hit so hard! Still overpowered at 75% gain. I couldn't believe what I was hearing...Mind you, this was off of just the front channels, there are still the other 2 waiting for another sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Plus, I have 16 gauge power, ground, and speaker wire running to it, so it definitely could perform better with a bigger power and ground.

They definitely underrated this amp at 50x4 watts lol. The PG sub is rated at 350 watts RMS, and it was being overpowered at 75% of the gain, so it must push over 800 watts RMS total, or 400wRMSx2@2ohms. This amazes me, given it only has a 40amp fuse, which would lead me to believe it would only push around 400-500 watts RMS. It must be very efficient...

The sound was pretty clean, too. The LPF couldn't quite dismiss all the mids and highs, but the subs hit pretty crisp. Hooked up to my Wharfedale Valdus 400's (home speakers), they presented nice bass and above average mids and highs. Hooked up to my Kenwood KL-888x speakers (home speakers again), they excelled in the lower range as usual, but had some very sharp highs when pushed. I would attribute this to the speakers themselves, as Kabuki style speakers (a combo of many drivers, in this case 6) tend to clash amongst all the drivers, and it had a horn tweeter.

Overall, I am extremely surprised to have found this gem. I think they discarded it as blown because it didn't work when it was first plugged in...then, after touching the fuse, it turned on and stayed on. Lucky me!

I am mostly writing this thread not because the amp was underrated (as most old-school amps by Hifonics, Orion, RF, etc. were), but because there is next to no information on it online. Hopefully someone can benefit from this "review"!

-Dylan

Wow...so I was right then...it puts out 720wRMSx2@2ohms bridged. I wonder, though, if it is underrated...

I just hooked it up to my APX-18, each coil to channel 1 and 2 seperately, with a light guesstimate for the gain and the sub boost at max. It hit as hard, if not harder than my MMats 500.1d did, which was underrated at 500 watts RMS according to MMats. Plus, it had much better low frequency stability, which I found rather odd. With the MMats, the sub struggled below 30hz. Maybe it just didn't have enough power going to it.

I just bought some double male to single female RCA cords, so I'm gunna hook it up with each coil bridged to seperate channels. My alternator is nearly dead though, so I'm probably gunna have to keep the rpm's high to keep her runnin. Time to see what this amp can really do...

Btw, since I am going to run each coil to its own set of channels, will it kill my sub if I match the gains by where the gain knob sits? I know it won't be exact, but it will be underpowering the sub so I wouldn't expect it to "do the wave" if you will. If i recall correctly, it is a 5000wRMS sub, and I will be pushing under 1000 watts to it, so my assumption would be that a slight difference in gain shouldn't set the coils off balance enough to matter, if at all.

Just a quick question about your bass boost...why are you setting it to max? And with the gain set so high, are you essentially clipping the **** out of the subs?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Just a quick question about your bass boost...why are you setting it to max? And with the gain set so high, are you essentially clipping the **** out of the subs?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
The bass boost is the setting on the amp. I'm setting it to the max because the sub can easily handle it.

I haven't heard it clip yet and I don't think I have even matched the input sensitivity from the deck yet.

I did hook it up bridged on both sets of channels today, but even holding 3k rpm couldn't summon enough power to do it any justice. When I let off the gas, my engine nearly cut out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I guess I'll find out later what it really can put out when I get a new alternator

Yeah, even with my 200amp alternator (mechman) my car dies at idle if I blast it loud enough...which means I need more batteries or something.

That's interesting about the bass boost...glad it all works out for ya!

Wow...so I was right then...it puts out 720wRMSx2@2ohms bridged. I wonder, though, if it is underrated...
Did I read that right? 

The Taurus measure :

4x50w@4 Ohm

4x90w@2 Ohm

2x160w@4 Ohm

And a WOOPING

2x720w@2 OHM?!?! 

WOW!

I actually purchased an old Hifonics Taurus X last month. Didn't really know anything about it, just noticed it was 1 Ohm stable, and that at least told me something about the build quality. 

I realize this is an old topic....., but would like to know more about the Taurus. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I read that right? 

The Taurus measure :

4x50w@4 Ohm

4x90w@2 Ohm

2x160w@4 Ohm

And a WOOPING

2x720w@2 OHM?!?! 

WOW!

I actually purchased an old Hifonics Taurus X last month. Didn't really know anything about it, just noticed it was 1 Ohm stable, and that at least told me something about the build quality. 

I realize this is an old topic....., but would like to know more about the Taurus. 
it probably wont do anywhere near those numbers. Hifonics is owned my maxxsonics and theyre notorious for inflating numbers. Many models are built okay, but their fall from their glory days is sad, but assured

The bass boost is the setting on the amp. I'm setting it to the max because the sub can easily handle it.

I haven't heard it clip yet and I don't think I have even matched the input sensitivity from the deck yet.

I did hook it up bridged on both sets of channels today, but even holding 3k rpm couldn't summon enough power to do it any justice. When I let off the gas, my engine nearly cut out
I guess I'll find out later what it really can put out when I get a new alternator
don't use bass boost at all it it all distortion. at least when u are above 1/2 on hu volume never set it more than like 1db

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.