Bonsai Ipod system build

hempy
10+ year member

bass wiener
nola
Ok, so somehow my thread disappeared and no one will tell me why, so I guess I'll just continue updating here.

Unless someone can tell me how a thread just disappears? Is this a Goob thing?

Anyway....

I'm getting close. I just need to figure out the screw blocks for the pods and start on a very long bondo/sanding session. I'll probably be priming them myself at the shop this week if I can get through all of my prep work by Thursday. Should be interesting, as I've never shot with a paint gun before.

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

really nice workjust remember to use long even strokes with the sprayer and dont get to close. lots of mist or thin layers is way better than a couple heavy layers.
Before I get rid of my POS exploder, I'm going to try and paint it myself. If it fails, I'll only be out about $500 for a new job, so I figured I would just do it.

That's crazy good work! Jigsaw or router? What's the setup going to be like? Couldn't find your old thread
Lots of both. I have the same updates/pics in this thread over at DIYMA.

It's a 12w JBL amp that will be powering 2 Aura NS3 clones from PartsExpress. I basically cannibalized an earlier project for this much cooler setup.

Yeah the old thread just friggin vanished. Really odd.

really nice workjust remember to use long even strokes with the sprayer and dont get to close. lots of mist or thin layers is way better than a couple heavy layers.
Thanks! Luckily, the painter at the body shop will be walking me through everything, and I'll probably just be shooting alongside him in the booth.

I finally got back out to the garage today. I ran out of smokables last week and haven't really wanted to work on it. I guess I know where my inspiration comes from now =P

I dry-fit the trunk, base, and pods to make sure everything lined up right, and it turns out that the whole thing feels pretty solid with screws alone.

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

I also started on the blocks to hold the backs on the pods. I used some more of the oak that I used in the base, and rounded over the inside edges and cut off just enough of the outer edges to match the contour of the pods.

IMG_2567.jpg

The first ones I cut were just slices of this shape, and after getting them all glued in, I found out that the drivers weren't able to clear them. Luckily it wasn't very hard to snap them out, and I sanded down the glue that was still left.

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

After this I decided to cut the new ones at an angle, and although they were a bit more difficult to clamp, they worked out and the drivers slipped right in.

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

I traced the blocks on the inside of the back panels and drilled out the screw holes. I'll use those hole to drill out the blocks once I'm sure they are dry and solid, and I'll countersink the holes on the back of the panel. Once those are done, it'll be time for bondo! But that's all I've got for tonight.

I finally got outside, and spent a bit of nice weather I laid down and sanded the first bondo application on the MDF pieces. It's a bit wavy in spots on the pods, but it should even out when I put a second batch on for more coverage. I've dealt with too many ugly glue joints in the past to let any of them show through the bondo. Hopefully it'll stop them, but who knows. If I can visibly see them through the primer I may go with something flat instead of glossy.

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

The other garage is also insulated/painted/finished now, so I have someplace warm to work in.

From this

IMG_2793.jpg

To this

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

Nice work they lookin great, Also like the new garage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Send me a pm if you need anymore parts from parts-express ill hook ya up..

Nice work they lookin great, Also like the new garage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Send me a pm if you need anymore parts from parts-express ill hook ya up..
Sweet, I didn't know they had retail dealers outside of their own b&m store.

Well now that spring is back I'll be out working on this project a bit more, probably aiming to finish it up (completely) by May.

I've laid down 3 2 pretty heavy bondo layers and knocked everything down until it was just about level all the way around both pods. I mixed up a few small batches today to get small spots and holes, and I wound up losing 3/4 of a small batch because of the heat and the fact that the direct sunlight made my mix look lighter than it was.

These pics are from after sanding the second wipe. I clamped my orbital sander at 90* and ran the pods along that to cut down most of it, but it left a few grooves that I had to come back and clean up afterwards. It's much more effective for cutting down bulging layers on a translam. I may just mess around with different grits and surfaces under the paper (right now the sand has a pretty soft base).

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.