How to wire this???

c_james_s
10+ year member

SQ over SPL
usa
Ive recently got an IDQv2d2 12" sub in a 1.3cuft sealed box. my amp will do 600w at 1-2 ohms and 300w at 4 ohms. My question is this: Ive got it wired now so the amp sees a 4ohm load and puts out 300w and im wanting to know if I should wire the sub down to 1 ohm and give it 600w from the amp. I know the sub is rated at 350wrms but I was told by someone that if you wire the amp to the lowest ohm rating possible and just tune the gain correct its easier on the cars electrical system as well as the amp and the sub will always get nice clean power.

To recap, should I keep my sub at 4ohms or wire it down to 1 and give the sub 600w?

Sorry to sound stupid but im new.

another quick question if I can. I tune to ear most of the time but I do have a dmm and a burning cdrom drive and was curious if I should tune to ear again or use the dmm to set the gain? if you think i should use the dmm, I have a website where I can read and figure out the math and how to do it but I cant seem to get a 50hz test tone to save and burn, any help? Also, what should I set the amp so? should I only give the idqv2 the 350w it wants per manual? give it more and if so what? or should I just give it all 600w because the sub can take it?

Thanks

what amp is it? and making an amp see a lower ohm load does not make it easier on the electrical system. as a matter of fact it'll make the amp work harder. IMO if your happy with the the sound you have now then leave it at 4 ohms. giving it 600 watts won't give u much sound difference.

i forget the model of the amp and i wish i could check into it but the car is getting the clutch replaced so im sol till I get it back. I do remember it is a mono class d amp doing 300w at 4ohm, and 600w at 1 and 2 ohms.

horsemanwill, not that i dont trust you but so far your the only one who has told me to leave it, everyone else has said to drop it down. just curious as to why you dont think its a good idea? so the amp and my cars electrical system wont be eased by me dropping it down to 1 ohm? i wouldnt be actually giving the sub the 600w, cant you tune the gain to put out the power you want?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.