Alt whine / ground loop from hell...

dvrmstrng
5,000+ posts

DE
ive tried everything, some days its horrible, a select few days it seems to go away, i need help badly.

System consists of

Eclipse 7200MKII, grounded via its own ground under my center console under a screw thats into bare frame

7" dayton mids in the door

1" blau tweets up front

2 ID8s in the trunk

all run off a eD nine.5 amp grounded under the carpet in the trunk under a huge bolt that holds some bare body panels together...

im going to try to tackle this again i suppose, where do i start?

or if someone in NJ wants to come figure this out for me ill buy beer

eh my amp is putting out under 1kw from all 5 channels combined, i dont think that is the problem, i believe they are all run down the same side, the RCA'S are pretty high quality as well.

I had this same problem and it drove me so nuts that I stripped everything out of my car and started over. I replaced everything.

1.) I put a couple new 0 guage grounds on my main battery and from the block to the chasis.

2.) I ran RCA's and speaker wire on one side of my car and power/remote wire on the other side of my car.

3.) I switched from fuses to circuit breakers.

4.) I took a power drill and made fresh holes for grounds on all my amplifiers and used a bolt with a nut and lock washer. I then stripped every piece of paint off of the metal surface and I made that area extra large to make sure no paint comes into contact with the terminal.

5.) I used wire reduces to put larger 0 gauge wire on the subwoofer amps and gave each amplifier its own ground instead of having them share ground spots.

6.) I re-grounded my trunk batteries.

I believe its more of a ground issues than anything else. I had 23 seperate grounds that needed to be done the right way. I wouldn't ground the amps at the battery because they are like repositories for noise. I have no problems anymore and it took me a whole **** day.

its your eclipse hu

I had 2 new ddin eclipse hus that did that i tried everything you did + some when i swaped out the units no noise at all in fact it was so clear becasue all the grounding upgrades i did

i had the same problem. added a small battery in the trunk and t went away...weird i know but true
How old was the battery under the hood? It may have went away cuz that small battery ****** up the ripple that the under the hood battery did not.

OP

Check the HU to factor that out.

Test your battery for a bad cell. The alt may be an influence also. When the diodes break down in the alt that will introduce system noise also.

Just some other things to check into.

You could try grounding your amp directly to the frame also so go right through the floor to it if possible or run a test wire to the frame in the proximity.

found out today that when i turn on my headlights (aftermarket HIDs) the whine gets worse/ more audible when you turn them on from being cold.

Well, It has to be one of a few things left.

Is the ground from the alt to the bat good? Is the ground from the bat to chassis good? try grounding the HU chassis with a dedicated ground to the bat, (like a 12-14awg) Try grounding the outer rcas to the hu chassis, as in the pioneer fix, Lastly, is there anything under the dash that could cause interferance, such as ignition wires, alarm/remote start moduales?

As a test, pick up a rca inline noise suppressor, Wire it in next to the amp, If its still whining, then its the grounds from amp on, if not then HU/rcas.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dvrmstrng

5,000+ posts
dvrmstrng
DE
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from