coil and spider placement

Participant count
  • Participant list

csu87
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
im gonna try my hand at reconing and have a question about the placement of the coil. how do i figure out how far into the motor it should go? i dont have the coil yet so im not sure of the specs but do i want a little bit sticking out the top or is it more like half and half?

Center of the coil coincides with the center of the gap plate.

whitepaper-image3.gif

Are u using the HW motors? I dunno what coil length u got but if its stock from RD then about 1/4" is left out the top

Center of the coil coincides with the center of the gap plate.

whitepaper-image3.gif
thanks

Are u using the HW motors? I dunno what coil length u got but if its stock from RD then about 1/4" is left out the top
no just a motor ive had laying around for awhile now. figured it was time to try building something

o i c.. well then go with the model shown above... O those HW motors arent that great anyways... u should sell me one or both...lol

o i c.. well then go with the model shown above... O those HW motors arent that great anyways... u should sell me one or both...lol
i dont have hw motors:confused:

i have an apxx18 though if you want to buy that:D

To Elaborate on what Ciazono said... This is how you can figure coil hieght with random measurements...

Measure the topplate thickness.. Then divide by 2...

Measure the coils WW and divide by 2..

Then minus your total from the top plate from the total of your Coils WW.

IE:

1" top plate

2" WW

Top plate: 1" / 2 = .5"

Coil WW: 2" / 2 = 1"

Coil height = 1" - .5" = Coil height from the top of your top plate of .5"

sounds good guys, thanks for the help. now i just have to wait for everything to get here. stupid holidays slowing down the shipment of all my new equipment

Good luck, have fun.

Thanks for the follow up ssacket. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

if ur using a longer than stock coil dont put in the mid leave more out of the top plate, dont want ur coil to bottom out,fyi...
So you're saying set the center of the coil wind width out of the gap more simply to keep a coil that is apparently too long for a motor from bottoming? Do you know how asymmetrical your BL curve would look and how non-linear the driver would be? That's not even considering how it would no longer be tracking with the Cms plot, creating large amounts of harmonic distortion. The only way I could see that being useful (but still not optimal) is for a driver that's strictly intended for burping, where it would never see even close to the full travel and thermal power handling has a greater importance than stroke. You would certainly never want to do that with a driver that is intended for musical playback. Unless you absolutely love distortion.

if the coil is a lil long pulling the coil .060 off center isnt going to off set that much. i'm not talking .250+ bro.

ur right on the distortion factor because pro audio speakers generally have the coil out of the gap more for added distortion because it "sounds" louder.

if the coil is a lil long pulling the coil .060 off center isnt going to off set that much. i'm not talking .250+ bro.
ur right on the distortion factor because pro audio speakers generally have the coil out of the gap more for added distortion because it "sounds" louder.
Roger. For some reason I was thinking you meant like a way-long coil placed way off center. You're only talking like 2mm which is probably about where some companies' tolerances lie already, lol. That wouldn't be so bad then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.