Accurate sound reproduction, minimum requirements?

tobz
10+ year member

Independant Thinker
MN
Can I get a decent SQ setup with one set of components (imaged properly) and a subwoofer?

Secondly, I'm new to the area of SQ, but what are the approximate settings for the speakers? If I run a sub and a component set, what frequencies do each end up playing?

Next, for a decent, audible, accurate reproduction of sound, what ranges do I need to cover?

Lastly, can anyone give me an idea as to where certain sounds are located in the spectrum? I.E. voices, hi hat cymbals, bass guitar?

Thanks for any info. I'm just trying to setup a decent SQ and SPL car with one 12" sub, and one set of components. I want to compete for the first time ever (not seriously), but just to see what the whole deal is like and what it's all about. Who knows, maybe I'll even get hooked //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

T.J.

I will upgrade my H/U later on, since mine only has single RCA Preouts.

I have a 12" sub and Amp combo already that I plan on keeping, see my signature for details.

I'm looking for a decent quality component set and an amp to run it. I personally like crisp highs as I listen to a lot of rap and enjoy it when the crispness pierces the bass, so I would prefer either a "softer titanium" or a "harsher silk" tweeter. Midbass needs too be good but I don't need it to be crazy. They will be mounted in custom kick panels, so mounting depth is not an issue, as I will adjust the kicks accordingly.

I would also like a decent EQ, half din to fit with my deck.

The amp just needs to be of appropriate power for whatever components I run. I run a Hifonics amp now, so I wouldn't mind getting two of the same brand if the value is there.

Head unit just needs dual RCA preouts, one for sub, one for component amp. I don't need an LCD or anything like that. Not really sure what to look for in a deck, as I won't be using too many of the features anyhow. However, MP3 would be nice.

Thanks for your time.

I'd like to keep the components, amp, eq, and H/U under $700 Under $500 would be ideal if there is a nice value setup out there.

Since H/U doesn't matter as much to me as some people, if you know of an EQ that matches a certain H/U nicely (they will be mounted basically together), or of a really nice H/U that has EQ capabilities, then that would be ideal.

T.J.

700 bucks... thats tought. but can be done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3061472512&category=39750 this is a cda-9807, great head unit at good price. Doesnt have an EQ. if u want cheaper u could just get a 9805 but wont come with as many features.

for speakers i would get either a set of crystal CSC's or if ur using 6.5 speakers also look into the CDT's on thezeb.com that are half off.

for a sub id go with a 12" ED K. that will leave u money for a 4 channel amp. any decent amp will do the job. For budget amps look at profile, Us acoustics, JBL

Sorry, let me clarify:

I have the sub and sub amp

The only items I need are:

H/U

EQ

Comp

Comp AMP

Requirements:

Comp set needs to be a 6.5 or 6.75 set

EQ + H/U Can't be bigger than 1.5 din. Unless I go with a trunk mounted EQ.

Thanks.

T.J.

I came up with $700 just doing a rough estimate, that's not an actual budget. I was figuring:

H/U $300

EQ $100

Comp $200

Comp Amp $100

Those can be adjusted if need be, I'm not picky on price, I'm taking my time with the install, and I have patience to wait around for deals, or to simply wait for more money if it will create noticable gains. Thanks again.

T.J.

ohh nice in that case i would go with an alpine cda 9815. Look on ebay they have em for like 360+shipping. They have an EQ.

for components i would look into the crystals and cdt's i mentiooned and also look into focal polykevlars, a bit more expensive but well worth the money. i have a profile 2 channel amp running to my components and it works great. it does 100x2 at 4 ohms for 90 bucks shippped its such a good deal.

Thanks for the suggestions. The alpine unit seems nice, it almost seems to have too much power. Kind of wierd I guess, since I won't really be using any of it.

Thanks for the input, it looks like a real nice H/U.

You could look into the Pioneer 7500 and up series. They have pretty nice built in EQ's. Also if you are set on getting a 1/2 din eq you could look at the JVC Digifine 2.3 series and even some Panasonics.

I would recommend holding off on a EQ unit and putting that $100 toward the amplifier. There are HU's with decent equalizer capabilities for 300.

Thanks for all of your help. I've changed my mind around a bit, so taking what everyone said into consideration, I can probably save money buy purchasing a better H/U with an EQ, and spend the money I save on an amp. Plus, it sounds like since I am working on this project slowly, that will work better anyhow, since I can get the H/U first, the comps next, and the amp last, since a nice H/U will have a semi-decent amount of power for the comps.

I will probably go with the alpine H/U, and just use a mounting kit.

I also decided that my kicks will be too cumbersome to make, and too obstructed for good sound, so I am switching to component drivers in the front doors, and the component tweeters in the A-pillars.

I will look into what mounting depths I am restricted to later on today.

One question about mounting in the doors... What is the best way to shield the rear of the speaker from the door? Just use, say, second skin? Or should I fabricate some sort of box type enclosure? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

T.J.

Another quick question that might be dumb... but can you bridge the L-front/rear and the R-front/rear channels on a deck? In affect to get close to 50w rms?

Not sure if that would work too well, just curious. Thanks.

T.J.

no, you cant bridge a head unit.....Don't use your h/u for anything but music.....don't use any features on the h/u itslef....most of them cause unwanted distortion....buy a nice indash eq....

Good h/u's to buy.....pioneer premier....they have one of the cleanest RCA output voltages and stays unclipped as long as you don't use the EQ presets that come on the h/u.

Alpine is Excellent

The high end JVC are also very nice.....

no, you cant bridge a head unit.....Don't use your h/u for anything but music.....don't use any features on the h/u itslef....most of them cause unwanted distortion....buy a nice indash eq....
dont use any of the feeatures?????

good luck popping in an alpine 9815 and getting desired results without using the billions of features on it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

tobz - Do NOT run ur components off a head unit. Dont even worry about the power that the HU comes with its distorted unreal wattage. not suited at all for components. Get a nice 4 channel amp and bridge the 2 rear chanels to a 12" sub with ur front 2 channels to the components.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.