Afboy143

Wanna build ported box for 4 Type E's, Need help!

Well I want to build a ported box for 4 type E 12's in the back of my explorer tuned to 30 Hz. I looked on the alpine website and they only give air space for a sealed enclosure which is .8 - 1.7. So what should I give in a ported enclosure? Also could I just make one big box and stick a port in the middle and just have a lot of internal bracing? Thanks guys for all the help

Well I want to build a ported box for 4 type E 12's in the back of my explorer tuned to 30 Hz. I looked on the alpine website and they only give air space for a sealed enclosure which is .8 - 1.7. So what should I give in a ported enclosure? Also could I just make one big box and stick a port in the middle and just have a lot of internal bracing? Thanks guys for all the help

The internal volume for ported should be around 2.25 per sub after displacement, so 9 cubic feet + port and sub displacement.

To figure the length, width and depth of the port, use the calculator at http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spboxnew2.htm.

If you absolutely can't figure it out yourself, i'd be more than happy to draft you some professional plans for $10.

Alrite man thanks for the advice! also do u think it will sound ok even tho alpine jus suggests bandpass and sealed on their site? Just dont wanna go thru all the mayhem of building another **** box for my car for it to sound bad!

Alrite man thanks for the advice! also do u think it will sound ok even tho alpine jus suggests bandpass and sealed on their site? Just dont wanna go thru all the mayhem of building another **** box for my car for it to sound bad!

You were the one that suggested ported, not me

I don't have the specs of the sub handy, or i could tell you what kind of box to use, however if it suggests bandpass (especially 6th order), it's quite possible it will work in a ported box. If you can post the T/S specs for me, I'll get an EBP rating for you and let you know for sure.

If my memory is correct it had an EBP of like 42 or something. I called up alpine and talked to the tech guy, though whoever I talked to didn't seem very knowledgeable he said that they have done some testing and the type e's work better in sealed applications. All I can say is try and see, I would have but it was for a single cab truck that didn't have room for a big enough box anyway. It wont hurt to try.