External/portable HDD issue...

geowick07
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Hey guys! Search function is acting up for me...so I couldn't do a proper search. Please bare with me!

A friend has a Pioneer 6000UB and a Western Digital 250Gb HDD external drive. Cannot seem to make the HU read the HDD. It can see the drive on the HU, but it says "No audio". Any ideas? Already tried a few things....but give me everything you have for troubleshooting.

Thanks everyone!

geo

might be too big
He originally bought a 320Gb drive. He had issues, error code saying the drive was too large. So, after reading the manual, he found that the HU can only read up to a 250Gb drive. He bought that size, and the drive is recognized now, but says "No audio".

geo

you need a drive that pulls a certian amount of current

i think head units only put out 500mA

most portable hard drives need 1A

you can either run a Y type USB cable, one goes to your head unit and the other goes to a 12v source via cig lighter or similar

you need a drive that pulls a certian amount of current
i think head units only put out 500mA

most portable hard drives need 1A

you can either run a Y type USB cable, one goes to your head unit and the other goes to a 12v source via cig lighter or similar
Power doesn't seem to be the issue. It seems to be getting enough power. It just doesn't see any music on the drive, even though there are almost 60Gb of music on it.

what format is the hdd? fat32 or NTFS
Pioneer says the HU needs to be formatted in FAT32, which is what it is formatted in. It was originally in NTFS, but we formatted it to FAT32.

geo

im telling you, power is the issue

read your owners manual for the pioneer

then read on the hard drives web site about current draw

500mA vs 1amp is ALOT

I tried it with a 6000ub and a 5000, the light comes on but it isnt enough to fully power the HDD

some older 60gb or so will work

use a Seagate FreeAgent Go Pro drive thats the only one i got to work with my 4000 but make sure you get no larger than a 250,like the last guy said power is the issue that hu can only pull so much power

power is your issue. sell that drive and get a lacie portable drive. they come with an extra cable specifically to help with power issues.

Power turned out not to be an issue AT ALL. It was a drive size issue. Partitioned the drive down to 80Gb partitions, and the HU reads everything fine. Works like a charm now. Thanks to all that gave feedback!

Mods...issue resolved. Feel free to close this thread as you see necessary. Thanks!

geo

not trying to start anything...

the reason the smaller drives work is because they require less power than the larger hard drives

250GB require alot more power than 80GB.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.