4-12" L7 Enclosure??

Participant count
  • Participant list

KurtisLow
10+ year member

Grease Monkey
A co-worker wants a box built for the back of his lincoln town car. I'm not exactly sure what year it is but it's fairly new and, as many of you know, it has a very large trunk. He recently purchased 4 12" Kicker L7s and wants a ported box. I've built a few boxes but I've never dealt w/ a ported one. Is there anyone on here who could recommend some dimensions and port designs or a website that could give me some dimensions or is more info about the trunk space needed?

Thanks,

KurtisLow

I checked Kicker's website and they have some very detailed descriptions for building enclosures but the more i think about it, that trunk is pretty big so i'm not gonna worry about making the box by a mathematical equation. If i give those subs enough "breathing room", they're gonna pound. The site recommended using "Titebond" wood glue to bond the joints.....has anyone used this glue or had luck w/ another brand to glue the joints with? I've never glued joints in a box before. I normally just pre-drill and countersink holes and use coarse thread wood screws and seal it inside and out. I'll be using 3/4" MDF. Any input would be appreciated.

Just make sure you brace it it with 2x4 or dowels or threaded rod. If they are gonna be underpowered you can up the box size a little to increase efficiency. Other wise go nutz!

Yea, I'm gonna run some braces inside the box for sure. As for the subs being "underpowered"... he bought a HiFonics 2600w Brutus Super Class D Monoblock Amp to run all 4 L7s. I figured 2-500w or 1000w Class D monos would've done better but i couldn't say for sure. I'm not the smartest guy in the world when it comes to speaker systems which is exactly why i ask so many questions on here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.