HeLp Me dO iT RiGhT ThIs tImE!

marvelusmarvcus
10+ year member

ok, back to the drawing board.

i need some help. i need some recommendations on a subwoofer. i have a porsche carrera and the space in the back behind the seat is very small. i recently had a custom box built for a jl 13tw5. that jl sub blew for some reason, maybe too much power. i have decided to get a different speaker for this application and i will most likely need to have the box redone.

my options are limited. the current sealed box was built for the jl sub and has an airspace of about .80 cubic feet. i cannot have a bigger box or i will lose my rear view. i am using a fosgate 800.2 amp for the sub.

at this point i am ok with spl or sq. i just want something durable that sounds good. i would spend up to $500 if justified, although i do not need extreme bass as the sub is pretty much behind my head.

i do not wish to mount the sub anywhere else. i know there are options for other locations but it makes the most sense behind the rear seat.

you guys are the experts, please help me out here. im hoping that my options are not just shallow mount subs as they seem to be very fragile. i would love to get a 12" back there :>

thats actually a good sub for that application..You might be overpowering it though.

It's one of the few thin subs that still have quality. Most other companies like DD, DC, Sundown, etc. don't make thin ones because they are for competition

So...figure out why it went bad maybe need an appropriate amp, could be incorrectly built box, and have the shop inspect the sub. Maybe coils got burnt. Need more info.

But you can send in your JL under warranty :p

i dont know if i will ever truly know what happened. i am getting a refund on the sub. the audio shop said it was a bad voicecoil. i think i agree that too much power was possibly used. however, if i used any less, the sub would barely move. i think i need a sub that will put out a little more. if i only gave it 250-300 watts, it would be a disappointment and not keep up with the 6 focal speakers.

are there any shallow mount subs that can take some power?

are there any regular subs that would fit into a box with .80 cu ft air space?

any way to get (2) 10's or a 12 back there?

thanks guys

i dont know if i will ever truly know what happened. i am getting a refund on the sub. the audio shop said it was a bad voicecoil. i think i agree that too much power was possibly used. however, if i used any less, the sub would barely move. i think i need a sub that will put out a little more. if i only gave it 250-300 watts, it would be a disappointment and not keep up with the 6 focal speakers.
are there any shallow mount subs that can take some power?

are there any regular subs that would fit into a box with .80 cu ft air space?

any way to get (2) 10's or a 12 back there?

thanks guys
Memphis has a pretty bad a** thin line sub. My buddy has one I don't know much about it other than it sounds really good.

i checked the memphis, looks promising, i just hate buying something i am so unfamiliar with.

anyone used the fosgate p3? i have had a few recommend it and could hear one before buying.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.