Its ROUTER TIME!!

foomasta69
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
OK its time to get for me to get serious here and buy a router, i feel the job is not done right until you get down and dirty with a router for the finishing touches.. no more cutting circles and squares with a jigsaw FTW!! I also am looking forward to those pretty smooth edges //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Heres a cheap one on harbor freight.. do you guys think it will get the job done!?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43585

also this is what i need to make smooth edges, correct?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66646

I have a few of those HF bits and they are ok.

When it comes to routers and bits I think that is a piece of equipment that you get what you pay for.

I got my hitachi router 2 years ago and have used it to cut every circle in every enclosure ive made since then and it's still in great shape...great value, wasnt very expensive...Id look into one, got mine at home depot.

Harbor freight power tools are junk IMO. For the price, grab you a ryobi at HD if all you intend to do is use it for sub boxes every once in awhile. You can pick up a plunge for like 99 bucks and a fixed base for around 69. I have 4 fixed base ryobi routers setup, and they have run strong for 3+ years and counting. The plunge I have hard around for 5 or 6 years.

IF you plan on routing hardwoods fairly often, might not be a bad idea to pick up a little better router like Porter Cable or something comparable.

Craftsman has a sweet plunge/static set for 110. I'm on my second one since I dropped the first on after 2 years. This time I got a plan so that if I break it, I call in and they give me credit to buy another.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.