2 Boston G5 : not loud enough

tb87
10+ year member

Canada
Hi all,

I want to know what you guys think... I put two Boston G5's in a sealed enclosure (ported would be too tight for my civic 2003 it seemed).

I thought those supposedly great subs would kick ass but I'm slightly disappointed. Running those off Alpine MPR-850 (should be a great amp) and a Pioneed DEH-980BT headunit (should also be a great heatunit).

In fact I would want the same bass that they have in clubs... But there I thought I would achieve this with this equipment I'm a bit disappointed to see that even though the bass is somewhat good it doesn't *pound* as much as I would want it to.

I saw another post where the guy had an Hifonic 15'' in a ported enclosure tuned @ 30 Hz. Would that bass be really lower than mine? And would "pound" more?

Your opinions?

Thanks!!

Alex

its because your decibel exchange rate in Canada is what, 70%? So you are only going to get 70% out of your subs total output. When I go to Canada with my stuff I instantly gain like 4.5db because of the International Decibel Exchange Rate.

sorry I had to say it :-\

Well with the alpine I can already make them distort...

Is a ported box gonna make such a huge difference? Or is it that for the type of bass I want they aren't the good type of subs?

Reviews were quite good of the G5... Barely heard 15'' or 18'' subwoofers yet, are they what I would be looking for? Or maybe more powerful 12''s?

Hi all,
I want to know what you guys think... I put two Boston G5's in a sealed enclosure (ported would be too tight for my civic 2003 it seemed).

I thought those supposedly great subs would kick ass but I'm slightly disappointed. Running those off Alpine MPR-850 (should be a great amp) and a Pioneed DEH-980BT headunit (should also be a great heatunit).

In fact I would want the same bass that they have in clubs... But there I thought I would achieve this with this equipment I'm a bit disappointed to see that even though the bass is somewhat good it doesn't *pound* as much as I would want it to.

I saw another post where the guy had an Hifonic 15'' in a ported enclosure tuned @ 30 Hz. Would that bass be really lower than mine? And would "pound" more?

Your opinions?

Thanks!!

Alex
Let me give you an example.

I had two 12's in a sealed enclosure.

Now I have one 10" in a ported box.

They are just as loud.

It's all in the box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Well with the alpine I can already make them distort...
Is a ported box gonna make such a huge difference? Or is it that for the type of bass I want they aren't the good type of subs?

Reviews were quite good of the G5... Barely heard 15'' or 18'' subwoofers yet, are they what I would be looking for? Or maybe more powerful 12''s?
What's the gain on the amp at? Specs on the amp and subs? To what resistance are they wired?

I have 2 g5's. I have them in 2 cubes net per chamber ported at 35hz. They are amazing. If I still wanted a Sound Quality/Decent SPL system I would keep them. (I scored mid 140's on the TL meter.) You're doing something wrong.

i'd say if you are making them distort try getting a beefier amp, you are probably trying to do to much with what you have, what is the ratings for it?

They are wired in parallel (2x4ohm) @2ohm total impedance.

Gain on amp is set 3/4 but I set it manually on the radio. No bass boost (I find bass boost gives boomy bass too much) and LP filter on amp is 100hz or something, and on the radio 80hz.

The amp is rated 850wrms...

Maybe my box is the problem then? But still unsure, I mean they *do* sound great, it's just not loud enough for me... But here I'm not talking about the bass you hear - and that is the point I think, because I can make myself deaf with those subs @ 50-80hz, the point is that there's not enough bass that I can "feel".

Hope you understand what I mean...

something has to be wrong. I have a g5 12 in my wifes car off of a Alpine Mrp-m450 getting about 400 sealed in 1 cube and it sounds great and made me get some deadner for her trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.