building inside trunk

lilboom
10+ year member

Car stereo for fun
ca
want to build a custom box inside my trunk because i think that its the only way to get the proper cubes i need besides doing a wall

ok idea is to build a box inside my trunk (1991 regal)

its going to be for 1 18 or 2 15 maybe 2 18s if i get pushy

any how i want to have the subs and ports sealed from trunk fireing towards cabin trough rear deck

anybody have any pointers on doing this as in how to bolt the box together

i was thinking some

corner braces

silicone

and strongest wood glue i can get

i would have nowhere to drill from the outside because of the large enclosure

o yea and i want to use aroes but thats another situation

http://images.lowes.com/product/038613/038613208735.jpg

Attach backing blocks or strips to each panel before you put them in the car, spaced from the edges so that the blocks sit flush up against the adjoining panels. Then you will have joints you can screw or nail together from the inside. As for the glue, I'd strongly recommend gorilla glue, or any other polyeurethane glue, as it will expand to fill any gaps quite nicely. I'm presuming you're not too worried about cosmetics on the parts of the box you won't be able to reach to do the typical cleanup necessary with such glues.

And if you have a good router table, I would also STRONGLY recommend using one of these lock miter joint bits.

They will provide much greater surface area to glue, and help in holding everything together in proper alignment.

I would NOT use gorilla glue, makes a mess and doesn't bond worth a crap. use a good wood glue and caulk the inside seams once it's dry and you'll be airtight.

You could also consider a pocket hole jig for your screw holes. I've never done an in-trunk build, but have done several walls and the main thing is to plan out what/where you can reach and design the box accordingly, so you can glue/screw it together

also which is best for two subs

two subs 1 box sharing port/ports or each sub having there own port...

i dont want the subs to be fighting

thanks

use good wood glue - tightbond, you can pre assemble the box outside the car - predrill all screw holes with counter sinks, use 2x2 in the corners to get strong braces (alt to fiber glass) and use a good silicone to seal inside box corners. problem with a in car build is if you want to remove it- you have to destroy it.

Gorilla glue worked great for me when i used it. The only problem was when i came time for a new box it was not easy taking the old one apart.

Yes, i find its pretty dumb that mgs and bars can stress people inside the wall and stuff when they are shooting at people outside. What causes this and anyway it can be fixed? Becuase its pretty dumb.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.