Two sources... one output?

Participant count
  • Participant list

CadillacMatt
10+ year member

Disturbing the Peace
Hey guys I have a little project I need help with.

I recently purchased a new head unit with a monitor, replacing my old Pioneer 4000UB with iPod control. The new unit only has RCA Aux-In and does not offer iPod integration.

What I am trying to accomplish is have my iPod play audio output through the sound system (two amps - one for mids/highs and one for subs) independent of the head unit, so I can play videos/movies on the head unit while still having the option to listen to a different track than what's being outputted from the movie... if that makes sense.

It would be an easy solution to plug the iPod directly to the Aux-In of the head unit but then the screens would just display a blue screen while in that mode...

I was thinking of running the iPod output through a powered equalizer (the dock connector output of the iPod gives the best quality but it's not powered like the headphone jack, so it needs a preamp and a volume control) and then back to the amps, but that means I would need some kind of two input/one output RCA splitter for each channel on the amp, and I heard that it was not a good idea to combine sources like that... even if you are only playing one at a time, they say that they will short each other out?

The only other option I was considering was to take the outputs from the HU, and the outputs from the iPod/crossover, and running them into an RCA switcher box... but even then, most switcher boxes only have 3 RCA inputs (R, W, and Y) and I would need at least 5 for all of the amp connections... so confusing...

Thanks if anyone can help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.