Too big of a box? How do subs perform?

scottyk
10+ year member

lil' nig
NY
Just kind of a general question to satisfy my curiosity. How is the general performance of a woofer affected as you increase the enclosure size to a point that is clearly too big? (I'm talking throwing a sub that's rated for 2 cubes max in something like 4 or 5 cubes. A box size that is too big). Does bass response decrease? does the sound produced by the woofer almost get lost in the too big box? Just curious.

I've found small boxes increase power handling.

I go by if the amp is to small for the subs I like a big box. To much power I like a small box.

If a box is too big for the sub it will lack back pressure, and cause the sub to bottom out. That is why you have to use less power.

If the box is too little it will have a lot of back pressure, and be harder to push against that pressure. That is why you may have to use more power.

That is why when running a sub infinite baffle it will have so much less power handling.

If a box is too big for the sub it will lack back pressure, and cause the sub to bottom out. That is why you have to use less power.
If the box is too little it will have a lot of back pressure, and be harder to push against that pressure. That is why you may have to use more power.

That is why when running a sub infinite baffle it will have so much less power handling.
this is perfect! i agree 100% with what is said here.

Bigger boxes yield greater efficiency but lower power handling (good if you don't quite have enough power). Smaller boxes yield higher power handing and aren't as peaky and don't provide as much impedance rise (good for SPL + burps).

The one other thing I might add is that it is alot harder to get smaller boxes tuned lower. With a 4" aero port, tuning a 3 cubic foot box to like 34Hz requires something probably only like 8" long where as trying to use the same port on a 1.8 cubic foot box, it would be longer than the box is deep.

That's why if you ever see a low tuned box for a set of 8's being built here on the site, the slot port takes up half the box volume. They sound GREAT though. With the small overall net volume, you can send them GOBS of power and they get down with that long ass port //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.