Powdercoating information please..

Jasonb61
10+ year member

Ok, I just got some wheels powdercoated and I accidentally bumped them together and they chipped on the lip. It wasn't a hard bump but it was decent.. Should the finish have chipped like that? I did a test and dropped a key from about chest height to the back of the wheel and it easily took off the finish where it hit. I can scratch the finish off with the key without much force.. Is it safe to assume I got ripped on a powdercoating job? They won't be open until monday and I'm afraid I won't be able to get them to fix it. Any ideas, suggestions, or input? If I could apply something to the finish to make it a little more durable like a clearcoat or something, I'd be willing to do that but I'm pretty upset about this.

I forgot to mention I got it done at a place called "The Patio People". They refinish patio equipment and such but also do powdercoating. Is there anyway to tell if it's the material or prep work.. I'm almost certain it's the prep work because I *think* I saw the original spray paint under the piece that chipped off.... Not certain though.

Powder coat when done properly is much more resilient that a painted finish and should be applied to bare aluminum. If they didn't strip the wheels it will chip that easy.

Should I ask for my money back or give them a chance to fix them? They were the best priced place in town but it's pointless if they do a crappy job. I paid $60 per wheel where other places want $125+ per wheel

Yes, you got ripped....

Sounds like prep work wasnt done at all. Wheels should have been stripped, both physically (mediablasted) and chemically...

I would DEMAND my money back, sounds like they have no clue of what they are doing...

I made and applied powder coatings for over 8 years, when done properly it should not chip at all..... ever......

I went through **** trying to get some wheels powdercoated too. Mine had bubbles and you could scratch the powdercoat very easily.

I was trying to do clear over polished aluminum so blasting off the coating or chemical stripping it woulda forced them to have to repolish them before the recoat. I *****ed at the place that did the coating and got my money back and just sold the rims for a loss.

I don't like powdercoating anymore, hard to find a place to trust to do a good job...

Forgot to add, don't assume going to the more expensive place gets a better job...I learned that lesson too

I called and let a polite message on his phone just saying I needed to discuss the wheels with him. If he hasn't called me by Tuesday or Wednesday I will drop by his shop which is only 3 miles from my work...

I'm really torn between giving them another chance to do the work correctly or just taking my business elsewhere. I think they may have got me for my "appeared age". I'm almost 22 but look 17 or 18 lol. I think they may do it right the next time as they don't want a mark against their name.

They are aluminum alloy "R/T" wheels that someone had spray painted black and I just had them powdered black.

Tried the key thing on the actual front of the wheels and it still chipped off, however, I noticed the coating on the front of the wheel is a little thicker.. You can't scratch it off really. But it still shouldn't have chipped, right?

Truthfully you should be able to hit it with a hammer and it shouldn't chip. It can scratch though because it isn't hard because it's flexible. I would go back to them and ask what steps they took to do the wheels. They should have completely blasted them to a near white, a chemical pretreatment, then coat about ~3mils, cure @ about 375°F for 15 mins roughly. Checking the part temperature with an IR gun.

Thats very true. The prep it the most important step. If you cut corners on that the powder will chip. When I powdercoat myself I spend a few 90% of the time with prep. If it was a professional shop they should have a large blast cabnet. Then it would be just following the bake time for that specific powder.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.