Another NS3 Build: Funky 2-Way

hempy
10+ year member

bass wiener
nola
I've been meaning to start building a set of 2-way speakers for my room, but have been unsure about what to build exactly. I want something quirky, while still being aesthetically pleasing (to me). I think I finally settled on an idea. It came to me while staring at the Walkman logo deliriously when I had a fever. I cut out a single piece of 1/4" mdf that I will use as a template to cut out pieces that I will layer to make the speaker "boxes."

Each speaker will have 2 NS3s, one of those rear-mounted dayton tweeter that I've been using, and a Partsexpress 2-way crossover. I forgot the points, as I bought all of them a long time ago.

They would be oriented vertically, and I'm not really sure if I'll have the tweeter offset facing inside or out.

IMAG0060.jpg

Well, I cut the driver holes and I think I'm going to remake the top piece, either by using the back as the new front, and then remaking the back, or just cutting another front out. Not sure just yet.

Apparently the hols for the woofers were somehow not centered, and I wound up with them being just enough for me to notice. The real problem came when I went to round over the cutout for the NS3s. The first one went fine, but the combination of a dull bit and a small surface for the guide part of the bit to rest on left me with a very nasty looking cut. It's bad enough that it would take more bondo and time than I plan on spending trying to fix it, not to mention the fact that the holes are slightly off-center.

Aside from those setbacks, I really like how it's turning out.

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

I used the back for the new front and cut new holes, which were much better this time. I did have an issue with an uneven cut on the ttweeter hole, so i ran some bondo on the inside, taped the tweeter, and pushed it in, leaving a clean edge. I used a different bit, leaving a sharp edge around the woofers that I like a lot. I think I'll keep it instead of sanding it down, which I don't usually do.

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

I finished cutting out the template for the inner panels. I used the circle jig and did the rest freehand on the router table. I sanded everything clean using the router and a sanding drum and it looks pretty good imo.

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

Just finished the second cabinet, and all of my main routing is done. I can finally clean up the 1/2" of dust covering an entire corner of the garage.

IMG_6743.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

IMG_6754-1.jpg

IMG_6755.jpg

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6748.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.