Box recommendations? 12'' Type R

dewbie
10+ year member

I have a 2003 kia spectra sedan and I am going to build a box this weekend, I want it to be loud but still somewhat clean sounding, I would prefer to build one of the boxes out of the "free box plans" thread.

It's a 12'' Type R ( 1242D ) powered by an MDR-M500

It's in a 1 cu sealed box at the moment and it sounds clean but doesn't real loud. ( to be expected right? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif )

I'm thinking something between 2-2.5 cubes so it fits okay in my trunk.

Max height it can be is around 15 inches.

What do ya guys think would be a decent one to build?

Out of the ones in the free box thing, this looks good:http://img29.imageshack.us/i/25cubes32hz3125sqin0zp.png/ That'll probably be about 2.35 after sub displacement.

But it's really not hard to just design your own that will fit better in your trunk...
That's the one I was eyeballin, it would actually fit pretty snug in the back of my trunk, too.

Wonder what it's going to sound like compared to my tiny little sealed box, haha... thanks for the advise though appreciate all of it.

i wouldnt go any bigger than 1.7 cubes net... you will greatly reduce the power handling... but if your on stock electrical it might work out to your benifit to do 2cubes... but i wouldnt go any bigger than that..

i wouldnt go any bigger than 1.7 cubes net... you will greatly reduce the power handling... but if your on stock electrical it might work out to your benifit to do 2cubes... but i wouldnt go any bigger than that..
Yeah I am on stock electrical, thanks for your guy's input, so the bigger the box the lower the power handling?

i'm running the same amp and sub. i got a 1.65 cu ft tuned at 42 hz.

will a 2 cu ft at 32 hz box make a difference? i play mostly hip hop and what i'm looking is for that bass that you feel in the chest.

i'm running the same amp and sub. i got a 1.65 cu ft tuned at 42 hz.will a 2 cu ft at 32 hz box make a difference? i play mostly hip hop and what i'm looking is for that bass that you feel in the chest.
It would hit the lows much better than your current box. I would do 2.5 tuned to 34 with 40" of port area. Never had an issue with power handling on my old Type R and I was giving it 1k rms.

sorry for hijacking your thread dewbie...

i'm looking to build on of those boxes posted on the free box design. there is a 2.5 @ 32, but is 2.5 a little too big?

sorry for hijacking your thread dewbie...
i'm looking to build on of those boxes posted on the free box design. there is a 2.5 @ 32, but is 2.5 a little too big?
Not a problem man, we're obviously looking for the same advise.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.