What is it with Old School Amplifiers?

Keyboard_Rambo
10+ year member

Here to Learn
I have been going to various car audio forums and it appears that many are hung up on old school amplifiers. Why is this? Are you going to tell me that 15 to 20 year old technology is awesome and better than what is currently available today? Seriously, how is the best that was available 15 to 20 years ago better than what is out there now? Surely, transistors, resistors, capacitors, diodes, operational amplifiers, etc. have improved over the last 15 to 20 years.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that some run of the mill Korean or Chinese budget amplifier is better built than an old school tank. I am thinking more along the lines of the higher end brands like Audison, Brax, Focal, Genesis, Helix, etc. I'll even toss names like Arc Audio, Lunar Amplifiers, and Zapco into the mix. Can you honestly say that some 15 to 20 year old higher end relic is "better" than the high end brands I just mentioned? If so, how?

As I have stated before, I watched my first cousin lust after old school amplifiers for a period of TWO YEARS only to sell his whole collection when those amplifiers did not perform to his expectations. Maybe he was tied up in nostalgia or maybe they were not that great to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I told him his choice of speakers would have a greater impact on sound reproduction than his choice of amplifier, but he didn't listen to me until now!

I guess I am just trying to understand why some are so passionate about being hung up on amplifiers from the past.

Most older ones are supposedly better quality. I.E., built in the U.S. with no foreign influence whatsoever. Not my opinion, I don't see why U.S. built stuff is any better than stuff from taiwan, but whatever. Whatever floats their boat.

Old school = underrated, higher quality parts, better built, etc.

New amps are generally cheaply manufactured.

I had a us amps 2000 and that thing kicked ass. It was the green board, and built here in the USA. I bet that amp is built better than most of the crap being made right now.

as most others have said usually newer amps built in asia or whatever tend to use cheaper parts in order to offer it for a cheaper price. quality has gone down in almost every area. build, parts, sound, power, etc....

of course there are some that do still offer what could be considered o/s quality. they are far from cheap though.

I would love to have a full set of us amps green boards. I think there is 1 on ebay right now. I sold my 2000 for like $700, and it was like 10 years old.

Cheaper labor as well. Not cost effective as it was in the US. A lot of mfgrs are finding it cheaper to build overseas....which I regret because thats "OUR" job being shipped to those ****ers. And its not just car audio either....other jobs too. Anyway, I'll shut up...I can go on and on about this...

you all need to grow up,i've been into this stuff every since i was 15-16, i'm 36 now (old man ) Old school amps blew up just like today's amps do, the difference is you're just out more money with the old school amps, those amps back in my day cost an arm and leg, punch 150 was like $550, Technology is a bitsh, look at the car shows of today , It's like underrated amps, to me that don't mean nothing, a watt is a watt no matter how much u pay for it ( 220 per watt or 60 per watt) they did that just to justify the high ass price. 15 yrs ago it took 12-24 15" woofers to do what 2 subs can to today. don't get me wrong i love the old school amps, heard alot of them, had alot of them, back then, we didn't have the choices you have now and of course class D. i have a ppi art series ap1200 and the 404, ( now you know how much that cost back then,) and i also have an soundstream picaso class a (the chrome one) punch 45 and a 100 dms all blown, so it's all n the eye of the beholder. thats why i shake my head every time is see oldschool and newschool, i love all school

Surely, transistors, resistors, capacitors, diodes, operational amplifiers, etc. have improved over the last 15 to 20 years.
With the exception of less carbon-composition resistors being used, not really.

SMDs have completely changed the landscape, but whether or not an all-SM circuit is inherently "better" to a discrete one depends on the application.

Are you going to tell me that 15 to 20 year old technology is awesome and better than what is currently available today?
In some cases, sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.