Sarthos

6.5 Components good for 150 RMS?

Does anyone have suggestions for some 6.5s good for 150 RMS? That's what my 2 channel amp puts out for my front speakers, and I have Alpine Type R components, but they're going in the back. I listen mainly to country music, so something more tuned towards country and older rock (like the Eagles or Elvis) would be best. I can spend a decent amount for something real good, otherwise I'm just looking at these.

http://sunsetronics.com/customer/product.php?productid=4042&cat=0&page=1

I'm really not knowledgeable about all the different types of speakers there are, but I know that Alpine doesn't have any speakers rated for that much power, and I know a lot of other brands don't either, but I know there are definitely brands I don't know about that probably do. So any suggestions?

Tuner/screen/DVD ~ Eclipse AV5101 + Eclipse DV3101

CD player ~Eclipse 5961 6-disc in-dash changer AND Eclipse 5122 12-disc trunk mount changer

Equalizer/DSP ~Eclipse 39011

Front Speakers ~MB Quart QSD 216 6.5" Components

Front Amp ~Planet Audio BB150.2

Bought From: Eclipsefool (A+), bradknob (A), Jh8909 (D+), little stuff from: James Bang , fatboyracing, JarvisB

Want to buy: Planet Audio PC68NEO 6.5" components, Eclipse Commander/GPS

Huh. I could've sworn that none of the JL speakers had that high of RMS each. The infinity reference speakers though are only 90 RMS each, and the Boston Acoustics SX60 speakers are only 65 RMS each.

But if I look at the JL ZR650-CSi, the Boston Acoustics SPZ60, and the MTX TXC6.1, what exactly should I look for?

CD player ~Eclipse 5961 6-disc in-dash changer AND Eclipse 5122 12-disc trunk mount changer

Bought From: Eclipsefool (A+), bradknob (A), Jh8909 (D+), little stuff from: James Bang , fatboyracing, JarvisB

I used to throw 150 at my cadence cwm6 comps all day long and they took it like a champ. And they were 75$.

Sub: 15" Fi BTL

Box: 4.4 ft^3 @32hz

Frontstage: Cadence CWM-6

Amps: BXI2006d & RF 450.2

Batteries: Front- Kinetik HC1800 Rear- Odyssey PC625

Deadener: RAAMat, ~65ft^2

Refs: Goindef154, jonesy, Incriminator, basscort2009, THXdts, SPY, fasfocus00, Integra2468

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/enclosure-design-construction-help/412621-guide-aero-ports.html <--Read my Guide on Aero Ports!

cheap- pg rsd's

else- id ctx65cs

/thread

TEAM CACO

*Pio 780mp

*ID CTX65CS

*Sundown 50.4

*Hybrid 18" (Treo CSX basket/motor)

*Sundown 3000d

*7.5cubes, four 6" aeros

*2/0 Gauge, Big3

*Kinetik 1800 x2

*Mechman alt

*151.1 tl legal

Ref's: jailhouseracer8 ; ILoveBass ; bumpincrv ; gordos420 ; 01 S 10 ; riogigalo ; PsychoTheRapist ; blackbonnie ; na_rsx ; 1ndatrunk ; tv559

www.caraudioclassifieds.org

Im selling some Boston Acoustics Sx65 coax's if you're interested. But listed above there are multiple good sets.

2007 Mazda 6i

Source: Pioneer 880prs

Front Stage:

(4) AA Poly Mids

(2) Vifa Xt25 Tweets

Amp: Mb Quart Dsc4125

FeedBack: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423130&highlight=mazda6i07

References: tc3k101, BumpinBuick, RetroAudioInc, mlstrass, JBizzle, Mobeious, YukonBoy97, CgFire, Hybrid90Accord, JManPc

alpine type r comps for front and back

1983 BMW 320i turbo

HU:Kenwood x891

FS: looking for Focal access comps, anyone have any?

RS:Focal access 5x7

Amp: Alpine 5 chan f357

Mid bass: RF p2 8"

Sub: Alpine type X

Sub amp: Looking for something

REFs: Socailstealth, Jake21, BLD 25, k3n12ock, sq_guru

I already have Alpine Type R Components in front, and I had them in the back, but I switched over to Planet Audio BB625Cs in the rear and like those much better. Louder and not as harsh. And that's with 150 to the front and 100 to the rear.

I'm suspicious of the PG RSD speakers simply because they're almost too cheap, and also because they're rated at 60 RMS each. I've heard lots of claims that speakers that are rated at small powers can run way more power if it's clean power, but I really don't wanna have to be constantly replacing blown speakers. Also, those PG speakers have the steel baskets, IIRC they're not the best for keeping cool, so probably not the best for high power.

The IDs are kinda nice, I like the high efficiency on them, but the rated watts is also only 100. Same for the Cadence speakers. I am running subs so I will have them crossed over to protect the speakers from really low frequencies, so it might help speakers with lower power ratings to survive higher wattage, but I dunno if I really wanna risk destroying speakers.

Looking nice would be cool, cause my speakers are highly visible, but that's not the be all and end all lol. Might just end up making custom grilles. But does anyone have any thoughts about the first speakers I linked to? I know the company is now owned by Boss Audio, but I think that model was designed before then. I've never had a bad experience with Planet though.

I already have Alpine Type R Components in front, and I had them in the back, but I switched over to Planet Audio BB625Cs in the rear and like those much better. Louder and not as harsh. And that's with 150 to the front and 100 to the rear.

I'm suspicious of the PG RSD speakers simply because they're almost too cheap, and also because they're rated at 60 RMS each. I've heard lots of claims that speakers that are rated at small powers can run way more power if it's clean power, but I really don't wanna have to be constantly replacing blown speakers. Also, those PG speakers have the steel baskets, IIRC they're not the best for keeping cool, so probably not the best for high power.

The IDs are kinda nice, I like the high efficiency on them, but the rated watts is also only 100. Same for the Cadence speakers. I am running subs so I will have them crossed over to protect the speakers from really low frequencies, so it might help speakers with lower power ratings to survive higher wattage, but I dunno if I really wanna risk destroying speakers.

Looking nice would be cool, cause my speakers are highly visible, but that's not the be all and end all lol. Might just end up making custom grilles. But does anyone have any thoughts about the first speakers I linked to? I know the company is now owned by Boss Audio, but I think that model was designed before then. I've never had a bad experience with Planet though.

..../ I had a whole paragraphy typed up, but forget it

Go buy some audiobahns

TEAM CACO

*Pio 780mp

*ID CTX65CS

*Sundown 50.4

*Sundown 3000d

*7.5cubes, four 6" aeros

*2/0 Gauge, Big3

*Kinetik 1800 x2

*Mechman alt

*151.1 tl legal

Ref's: jailhouseracer8 ; ILoveBass ; bumpincrv ; gordos420 ; 01 S 10 ; riogigalo ; PsychoTheRapist ; blackbonnie ; na_rsx ; 1ndatrunk ; tv559

I've never understood why, but any speakers that cost 40 dollars for a 3-way component pair sorta set off a red light in my brain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOBAHN-AS65V-6-5-3-WAY-200W-SPEAKERS-6-1-2-SET-NEW_W0QQitemZ140330702638QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item20ac5c972e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

RF power series comps.

I love them. I have 4 BNIB pairs of 5.25"s right now. I found them for $98 shipped per pair, and couldn't pass it up. I'll either use them for my build at the end of the year or they'll make good christmas presents...

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand. :fyi:

Huh. I could've sworn that none of the JL speakers had that high of RMS each. The infinity reference speakers though are only 90 RMS each, and the Boston Acoustics SX60 speakers are only 65 RMS each.

But if I look at the JL ZR650-CSi, the Boston Acoustics SPZ60, and the MTX TXC6.1, what exactly should I look for?

RMS ratings don't mean everything. Some speakers can safely handle WAY more than their recommended wattage...

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand. :fyi:

my 18s are rated at 1kw rms each. i once dropped my memphis to .25 ohms on them, sent them around 3 times rated power. i bump them hard on a daily basis on 2k rms each.

i run a 150x2 on some tweets rated at 75w each, and a 200x2 on some mids rated at 100w rms IIRC. i've never blown a tweet or mid, and have not blown a sub without knowing i was pushing its limits and risking damage. i have only blown 3 subs in 11 years of slammin.

Alpine W205/H701

Revolution Design D9 - 2 AQ HDC3 18s

Genesis Profile Four Ultra - Creative SDX7 mids, TBI HDSS tweets

Iraggi 240a, Optima g34 YT, 3 C&D 134ah, 15.3v MLA module, 120 ft 1/0, 200 ft^2 RAAMmat

WTT/S - 2 HDC3 18s, RD HW 10, 880prs + ipod + 6 disc changer, Alumapro ALC6.2 Components, Zed built US Acoustics USA4050 + USA2200, Fisher Customs boxes

and i've pretty much always run more power than rms ;)

Alpine W205/H701

Iraggi 240a, Optima g34 YT, 3 C&D 134ah, 15.3v MLA module, 120 ft 1/0, 200 ft^2 RAAMmat

WTT/S - 2 HDC3 18s, RD HW 10, 880prs + ipod + 6 disc changer, Alumapro ALC6.2 Components, Zed built US Acoustics USA4050 + USA2200, Fisher Customs boxes

RMS ratings don't mean everything. Some speakers can safely handle WAY more than their recommended wattage...

yeah but most people that bought the pg rsd's and swore they took 150rms+ a piece and sounded great, usually a week or two later complained about tweeters being blown.

im sure there are sets that handle more than their rms safely but you are usually talking mid to high dollar sets that can do that, in most cases budget comps should be kept near their ratings.

sold to : vitveet, ZeroAccess, Regalboi97 bought from: pboulos, mikescanlon, pickup1, konechiwa, CaliforniabOY5, desertheat

blacks buy cars owned by white men who were designed by asians and made by mexicans ...see everyone contributes to the cycle
today I was messin with my newly installed subs, i really have no clue what they are but they're definatly old school. Out of nowhere, it burts into awesome mode and starts shaking the garage doors of the entire lot ( work in a auto shop).

I just want to here some theories how this happened.

In case you were wondering I drive a tahoe and when I say loud I mean loud to the point that your ears will pop and it starts hurting.

i've got 175rms going to my rf power 6.5's crossed at 80hz and they love it. going on five months now. i'm sure there's people on here that have some better sq driver suggestions that can take that power, but i can tell you first hand these will take that power daily, get plenty loud, and sound very decent doing it.

Current

batt - optima red top

deck - eclipse cd8443 (running active)

fronts - RF Power T162S

front amp - RF Punch DSM Model 4080

sub - ID10d4

sub amp - PG xs2200

isnt there a jumper or something in the rsd crossover to attenuate the tweet?

Alpine W205/H701

should be, but haven't seen them personally. the crossovers that came with my rf's has a jumper for 0, -2, and -4, along with the other jumpers you would set for biamping the set. even my old fanatic q system has that.

Current

batt - optima red top

deck - eclipse cd8443 (running active)

fronts - RF Power T162S

front amp - RF Punch DSM Model 4080

sub - ID10d4

sub amp - PG xs2200

isnt there a jumper or something in the rsd crossover to attenuate the tweet?

There's a switch, i'm pretty sure its for 0 & -2

TEAM CACO

*Pio 780mp

*ID CTX65CS

*Sundown 50.4

*Sundown 3000d

*7.5cubes, four 6" aeros

*2/0 Gauge, Big3

*Kinetik 1800 x2

*Mechman alt

*151.1 tl legal

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now